Sunday 4 April 2021

News but not a Flash

 Vaccination on the island has gone so well for the over 60s that now anyone over 18 can register and get the vaccine.  I got my jab last week and K got his a few weeks ago.   We got the astrazeneca, others got the pfizer.  Depends which list you were on. 


The villagers across on the mainland are getting vaccinated at the same rate.  Small communities and islands like ours will be fully vaccinated, and covid free we hope despite the rumours that the vaccine changes your DNA or  implants you with a microchip.  As most are aware, the govt can get far more info about you by following your facebook or instagram account. 


A lot of islands are now covid free and preparing for a busy summer season.  On the smaller islands, fewer than 1,000 residents, everyone is involved in the tourist season and you're guaranteed the warmest of welcomes and enjoyment of laid back greek island life.  Good weather, blue seas and long hours eating healthy mediterranean food with local wines and beer, greek music and dancing.


Sounds like a darn advertisement!  


Archaeological sites have all re-opened.  Small groups are allowed in, wearing masks.  As far as I know that only applies for open-air sites, not museums.   You can come to Poros and vist our ancient temple site any time.  It is never closed and it's free.  You can come and dance naked at dawn if you want to, as long as you wear a mask.  After ouzo and octopus anything can happen.  



Photo of the day, this beautiful 'hedge' of divine smelling purple flowers. I don't know what it is . Lilac perhaps? I pass it on many of my walks. The flowers are always full of buzzing bumblebees.


 

21 comments:

  1. Oh Linda. You make it seem irresistible! I want to be on the first boat over there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, sounds great doesn't it. I didn't mention that cafes and tavernas are still closed but you can still enjoy your ouzo on the balcony of an Airbnb and order takeaway souvlaki. We've still got a few cases on our island darn it. I'm in hiding till my vaccine kicks in

      Delete
  2. It all sounds wonderful. The lovely plant is wisteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that's wisteria!! It's fantastic just now. And also next to it is another bush with white flowers also with a beautiful scent. I'll photo that tomorrow and post it so you can identify that for me.
      Thanks

      Delete
  3. Here the situation is really similar, except for the children and some fools who believe in the conspiracy theories of vaccines, everyone is vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arrival of the first Israeli tourists was shown on the news . Hope they bring a good summer season.

      Delete
  4. Our vaccine is being rolled out slowly
    I don’t think I’m on any lists yet. We are still doing our frontline workers and elderly
    Because of the risk of anaphylaxis, anyone with a history is told to hold off for now
    So I just have to wait until everyone else is done then I guess they will vaccinate us. That way if we do have a reaction there will be a hospital bed for us if needed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have good reason to think twice before having the vaccine. Hope your turn comes quickly and you have all the support you need

      Delete
  5. Our Wisteria is in the same state, probably the best flowers ever. If I come to your beautiful islands, I promise to keep my clothes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wisteria is gorgeous. The bunches of flowers look so much bigger than these ones. The bumblebee s must be in her heaven.
      Please do your keep your clothes on or you'll be the sensation of the year. A group of naked Dutch tourists who joy tripped in the local bus were the last to hit the grapevine headlines.
      Mind you, we need a bit of light distraction!

      Delete
  6. That's great news about the vaccination - I laughed at our comment regarding social media. Some people really believe the conspiracy rubbish so glad you don't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sis in law is the worst. She wouldn't let us visit her for a week after we had our annual flu shot in case she got infected. Infected by what I'm notcsure

      Delete
  7. Congratulations but your news about vaccine availability on the island almost made me want to cry. No one in Piraeus is talking about having been invited to be vaccinated. My neighbour is 75 - no mention of it from her yet. The local gossip is that there was an outbreak among staff at our biggest nearby supermarket with 2 deaths. While we are pleased for Israeli tourists, we are sorry for locals with no access to either free testing, or vaccine. On a lighter note - what the govt doesn't know about us from taxisnet isn't worth knowing - they know stuff about me that even I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the advantages of living on an island. I think generally they're still vaccinating 70-75 year olds . Your neighbours turn has got to be coming up soon.
      A lot of the islands have vaccinated 90percent of the pop.
      Hospital appointments are easier to get at a rural hospital, paperwork at KEP is quicker, specially when they know you and will go that extra step.
      I finally went to kep for my driver's license and it took a day to gather the papers and 5 minutes to complete the application. Now it's 3 months waiting for the ministry to issue it but who cares. I have a temporary licence.
      You're right about taxisnet. They've got us all tied up now. The economic crisis and now this brought us right into the cyber age. Life has changed drastically. I no longer carry cash at all for a start. I even paid the car ferry ticket if 1 euro by card the other day. Only place you still need some is at the laiki . I bet in the city the sellers all have machines there too

      Delete
  8. If you have a Chamber of Commerce, they should hire you. To entice people, to visit your island!!!!!!

    Would love to be able to walk past that flowering hedge!

    πŸ”†πŸŒΌπŸ’›πŸŒΌπŸŒŸπŸ”†

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, ouzo and octopus! I'd probably end up on the table dancing - with my mask on! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least with these masks you not recognised quite so easily!

      Delete
  10. Good to hear you have had your vaccine. That hedge looks amazing. I bet lots of Europeans will be busting to get to your island for a holiday.

    ReplyDelete