Monday 12 April 2021

Greek Eating

Food photos.  These last few weeks I have taken a few photos of food that has been on our table.  


A large dish of baked tomatoes and green peppers stuffed with rice.  Made for us and some of the extended family.  Stuffed tomatoes and peppers, yemista, are a summer dish when these vegetables are in abundance and at their best.  These are made without meat so are also ideal for serving during Lent.



What we ate on 25th March, one of Greece's National Day
Fried salt cod, garlic sauce, beetroot and a glass of wine


Greens from the fields with olive oil (local) and lemon juice, from our own lemon tree


Greek chicken soup
Thickened with an egg and lemon juice sauce



Fish baked with lemon juice, olive oil, parsley  and vegetables. I parboil the carrots and potatoes because the dish only goes into the oven for 30 minutes. The result is juicy and delicious. The fish was the previous day's catch, bought from the a local caïque



Pasta Flora or Greek Jam Tart
Made with apricot jam I made recently from half a kilo of dried apricots


23 comments:

  1. Yes please to all of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of, and the sound of, the baked fish and the apricot jam tart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to the sweeeeeeettttt! -grin- Ohhhh that Jam Tart!

    Baked Veggies look yummy too, though.

    I miss tomatoes, as I can't eat them, due to health reasons, now. Bahhh humbug... -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jam tart is still going strong days later. Bit by bit it's disappearing

      Delete
  4. All those dishes look so appetizing. You must have had fun learning to cook Greek cuisine, so different from here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me years to get it all right. It all has to be done the traditional way. From scratch darn it

      Delete
  5. It all looks so yummy.
    Kali orexi

    ReplyDelete
  6. More yummy food. What is in between the peppers and tomatoes in the top photo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regulars on our table are Kleftiko, horta, and Greek salads. I'm slowly becoming Greek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh and healthy, even the kleftiko now and again

      Delete
  8. We really missed our salt cod and beetroot this year - our local eatery does a magnificent serving of it (when open). I love your food; its all about everything fresh and fairly local.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh, local and seasonal. Traditional people insist. At least it's healthy though it does need quite a bit of wine to wash it down!!

      Delete
  9. All that food looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish someone else would cook it and then I'd happily eat it

      Delete
  10. I'd eat all of that but would be hesitant about the fish because of the bones. That's just because it's not something I'm used to but if I was there I'm sure you'd serve it bone free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All at bone free. I take out the backbone but I'm afraid the rest is up to you

      Delete
  11. More recipes/dishes for your Poros cookbook perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh that Poros cookbook. I'm writing something for a cousins book at the moment. When will I start my own??

      Delete
  12. That all looks very good, I agree with the above comment, a cookbook would do very well if you wrote one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, all of your food looks so good. All of it! I have never thickened chicken soup with egg, I will have to try that. And the pie! I am now hungry....

    ReplyDelete