Tuesday 29 December 2020

Out and About

Out and about.  Just a little bit.  




Selfie time

My nephew and I met up at the supermarket where he is
the manager.  We were wearing copycat masks.  Not surprising
since it is his mother, my sister-in-law, who makes them.




This is a new brand which has just appeared.  They make cheaper cream and butter but also this strange stuff.  Different tasting cream cheese. Brie, camembert, Emmenthal, cheddar.  I should have bought some to try but I didn't


As usual there was a queue outside the chemist. Sometimes the wait can be half an hour.
We have two chemists on the island but most people come here.  They are cheerful and efficient.  They give us our flu jabs too.


An exotic from the supermarket.  I took a photo but didn't buy.  Lahmajoun.  A middle eastern delicacy sort of like a pizza with minced meat on top.  It is one of those delicacies which turn up at Xmas and are never seen again, not around here anyway


Our very minimal Christmas 'tree' in the main square.  This square at xmas is usually full of chairs and tables and screaming kids.  Last year there was a minature train and a huge blow-up Santa.
Next year, perhaps



16 comments:

  1. Do you know these people two in the top photo?😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bandits both of them. Poros most wanted 😂😂

      Delete
  2. Try again:

    Do you know these two people in the top photograph?😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very unique Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I presume it is supposed to be a tree. Unique all right!

      Delete
  4. Strange food appears here around Christmas too. But I don’t usually buy any
    I was very good this year, I didn’t over cater much at all
    Hopefully next year we can all enjoy Christmas’s like the old days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope we have the freedom to come and go by then. It's got to be better

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I've seen cream cheese with herbs but never such a range of cheeses.

      Delete
  6. I can recommend the President 'Campagne' Camembert. Look for the word 'Campagne' on the box... the cheese is always perfect. If I see those 'Creme de Cheddar' tubs, I might buy one (as a product test, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to that supermarket today. If they're still there I'll buy one. I bought their cream and it was fine. Much cheaper. I'll look for the camembert.

      Delete
  7. That mincemeat pizza thing was on the menu at our 'local' just before xmas last year - possibly explained by the family who own it having arrived from further east about 100 years ago. I never realized it was seasonal. They have lots of 'not traditionally Greek' things on their menu, the recipes for which they attribute to their Grandmother. I'd love to know how she cooks melitzania - its the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not seasonal actually, just appears in our supermarket during the Xmas season. Our supermarket usually just has cheese and spinach pies.
      For some reason they expect us all to go mad at Xmas and indulge in strange tastes. Greeks around here don't do strange tastes. City dwellers might be a bit more adventurous

      Delete
  8. LOL you both certainly do look like bandits, in your identical masks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cheeses sound interesting ~ cheese is something I've been eating quite a bit of the last few days! We had two cheese grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for dinner last night...it was so gooey and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a BIG cheese fan. There is one you can buy in supermarkets here that has nuts mixed with fruit, it's very moreish.

    ReplyDelete