Monday 4 January 2021

New Year

 New Year's come and New Year's gone and life goes on as ever.

We're having a week of stricter lock down so schools can open next Monday.  Sometimes it rains.  Some days the sun shines.


We spent New Years Eve on our own and somehow I managed to stay awake till midnight.  Don't know how, don't know why.  There was nothing of interest on television and we counted the minutes and I yawned.  No fireworks, no neighbourhood celebrations.  


K went out and broke a pomegranite for good luck.  It was bit on the hard side so I cut the top with a sharp knife to encourage good luck.  It spattered all over the paving stones so I suppose we're good for another year, just like we were last year.

He came back inside making sure the first step was with his right foot, tapped me on the back of the neck with a key and all traditions taken care of he settled down to a long winter's night with visions of sugar plums dancing in his head.

New Year's day was very bright and sunny.  We sat outside and warmed our bones.  The silence was audible.  Not a dog barked or bird chirped.  Fine for me.  Peace.  Traditional people do not like peace and quiet.  But it didn't last long.

A guinea fowl started its raucous cry  and then the family arrived en masse


Time to cut the New Year's pita and see who won the lucky coin.
Elli won the 'flouri' in our pita (cake) 


K won the 'gold' coin in Elli's pita/cake.

We all ate from both of them and leftovers were removed from our house.  We have enough sweet cakes and biscuits till last us till Easter.  I turned the last of the fruit/xmas cake into a trifle, pouring orange juice and whiskey over the pieces of cake before I added the custard.  We finished that off this afternoon.


The branch of the family down-by-the-sea had an at-home-party
on New Years Eve.  Gin fizz and virgin cocktails.


Yeh!!!  Three calendars arrived from New Zealand today.  One for each household.  We love our kiwi calendars.  One hangs over my computer as I write.  I turned last years calendar back to January.  Now I can discard it and write up this years calendar with name days, birthdays, births, baptisms and hopefully a few family get togethers.  Maybe towards the end of the year.  Thanks R and J

One more xmas card has arrived from England.  I await the rest.





  






18 comments:

  1. Sometimes it rains... That would make a great slogan for a T shirt in Ireland.😊 The Christmas cake trifle sounds splendid LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you make me smile!!
      Rain rain
      Leave those Irish alone
      Pour down on those Greeks
      None of us will moan!

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to have family visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year
    We had friends for dinner and they left at 8.30 we watched a movie and were in bed by 10.30. I haven’t seen a new year in for years
    May good fortune smile on you and your family the rest of the year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wishes. We don't need a smile but some brilliant beaming!!

      Delete
  4. Great that you were able to celebrate a bit with your family. My daughter likes Kiwi calendars too - they remind her of home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daughter must be just like me . I love anything from the homeland. I have a house full of kiwis and little lambs and Maori artifacts.

      Delete
  5. I'm pleased to see I'm not alone with crazy good luck charms/dances/etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things you must beware, or be aware of here. It's hard to keep up with them all. No white rabbits, though I have introduced them to a pinch and a punch

      Delete
  6. Is trifle a Greek thing? I suspect the rest of our Vasilopita will be going that way (it's in the freezer for now). Glad to read your 2021 will be full of good luck. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trifle is definitely not a Greek thing. They don't like soggy cake unless it's that sugary syrup they smother their cakes in

      Delete
  7. Trifle is very English. I usually make one every year but didn't bother this year as it seemed a bit much for two of us as we can't have any visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves trifle so it has become part of our tradition. This version was great

      Delete
  8. Love the sound of that trifle! Good to see all the NY traditions were observed! We usually get 3 calenders each year, none this year, will have to go and buy one! Nothing better than some NZ in your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, another exile! 😄 These little reminders of home are so important

      Delete
  9. I had to smile at your description of the good luck procedures. Here's hoping they work really well for this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some years they work and some they don't. you have to be careful about who your firstfooter is. It was either him or me. If all goes up the creek without a paddle this year it won't be my fault 😅

      Delete