Monday 28 January 2019

Kounelaki - little bunny rabbit in the pot


I deleted the photo of the bowl of raw meat and the head and eyeballs of the poor bunny .... wild hare actually.  Shot by one of our neighbours.

My traditional Greek husband is the best cook of snails, pork and rabbit, so he was the designated chef for this gathering of stewed bunny lovers, me not included.


First skin and chop your wild hare.  Marinate in red wine with bay leaves, garlic and olive oil

Heat up your 'davas'.  The 'davas' is a wide shallow cooking pot, as opposed to a 'marmita' which is tall and narrow.  
Fry the various parts of the animal, browning nicely, preferably without burning.




Add a chopped onion and a handful of garlic.  Brown a little more and halt the searing with a glass of red wine.

Put in lots of fresh grated tomato, salt, pepper and the liquid from the marinade.  Simmer slowly till tender.

At the tomato stage you could also add a kilo of small whole onions.  The onions turn it into another favourite dish called 'stifado'.



Gather all your noisy friends and neighbours, make sure you've got plenty of wine or someone who can shoot off on his motorbike in an emergency and get some more from a house nearby.  Turn up the music and settle in for a long evening of wine, good food, good company and lots of laughter.



Leave your wife at home
Leave me alone to watch my favourite  series in the next room.  I do not run errands, serve wine or clean up.
Give the bones to the cats, the next morning

18 comments:

  1. -chuckle- You have the perfect plan, for Cooked Bunny! I don't think I'd like it either.

    Although those pesky rabbits, which used to drive us crazy, I'd not have minded your husband cooking them up in a pot! For him and others, to eat. ,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to be a very healthy meat. Not much fat. A bit like chicken. Hate seeing them on the butcher's with furry feet and heads

      Delete
  2. Normally a post about eating bunny/hare would have me going yuk - but I am reading a book about a woman who ate her way through various cuisines in China. Last night's chapter was about very fresh rabbit meals, and her favourite snack of fried rabbit heads, no details spared.

    All of which means that I was able to read this and not flinch at all! You definitely had the right idea though, let them get on with it themselves. I hope you enjoyed your peaceful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know about reading your book. Chinese seem to eat anything that moves and all of it from inside to out. A bit like the Greeks and unfortunately I've seen enough to give me the shivers. Baked chicken heads, stuff of nightmares.
    Glad you reached the end of the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a child my grandmother raised rabbits and sometimes we ate them too, there were not many other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never eaten rabbit before coming to Greece. It's nice meat. I just don't like the way they cook it here. Either with too many onions and spices or roasted it can be very dry

      Delete
  5. We often had rabbit stew when growing up in England. Never thought anything of it, quite tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What puts me off is seeing it raw, heads, eyes and all. I do eat it,case I do a lot of other things here. No other choice

      Delete
  6. I'm surprised there was enough meat to share with a group. It must have been a very big animal. Our little cottontail bunnies would not provide much of a meal, I would think. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rabbit was quite big, a couple of kilos probably. But, don't imagine that was All on the table!! They didn't go hungry !

      Delete
  7. I love Rabbit; as there's no fat it's very good for you too. I had a Lamb Kleftiko last night, which would be great with Rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You eat very well. Rabbit would fall off the bone in a kleftiko.

      Delete
  8. I don't see many wild rabbits these days. My grandfather use to always be catching them. He had big vegetable garden. Perhaps that's what attracted them? Looks a good meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men enjoyed it all. Food, wine and conversation

      Delete
  9. We have so many rabbits here it’s like watership downs!
    Maybe I need a large group of Greeks to come and clear them out for me lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. When Max and I moved up north (north of Kaitaia) to our 5 acre property there were no rabbits there. Gradually they arrived and I can well remember one spring watching a pair on our lawn. By autumn there seemed to be hundreds. Max starting shooting them and we enjoyed many delicious meals of rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good healthy meat but shooting and skinning them.... no way

      Delete