Friday 23 March 2018

To Freedom

25th March  .....  

We celebrate the successful Greek War of Independence waged against  the Ottoman Empire (the Turks) between 1821 and 1832.  Byron became a national hero here fighting this good fight.  Unfortunately he died from fever contracted in the swamps of Messalonghi in 1824, but he became a greek hero nevertheless.  He has a suburb named after him in Athens.

25th March is also, naturally enough, a church festival.  On 25th March, 9 months before Christmas, Archangel Gabriel told Mary that she would become the, virgin, mother of Jesus Christ, Son of God.



The brave greek fighters are blessed by Bishop Germanos

My grandchildren are taking part in a small theatrical production at school heralding the bravery of the Greeks, the sacrifice of the women and the brutality of the Turks.  One of my grandsons will be a turk again for the second time, to the disgust of his Papou.  But Turks stand in the background, don't have to say much and can't be seen when they fidget, wiggle and squirm.


Young turks


On Sunday there will be a church service, laying of wreaths and a parade of school children along the waterfront.   We will be hoisting our large Greek flag at the front gate where it will fly with pride for the next week.

After the parade we will all troop onto the car ferry and decamp to Galatas to celebrate the name day of our inlaw Vangelis with salt cod, garlic sauce and lashings of wine and beer.


In 2017 Google saluted Greece and its National day with a waving greek flag.  A google doodle is the logo on its home page.  I had never really noticed it before this.  Now I see the logo changes every day.  Today (March 21) it seems to be something to do with star alignments.  No, I googled the doodle.  It is celebrating the 105th birthday of Guillermo Haro.  Now I'll have to google Mr Haro.

7 comments:

  1. Haha Linda, I loved the part of your grandson being a Turk for the second time and where you write, "they don't have to say much and can't be seen when they fidget, wiggle and squirm"
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, Maria, he is 11 years old and never stands still...except when he is playing video games. He and his friends are at that age when they are always getting into trouble!

      Delete
  2. 24th here and we change the clocks and losevan hour. Soon I will be cooking outside again even if I have to eat it indoors. I am.hoping to see the film Mary Magdalene before Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really long evening tonight. Seems a long day. Time to get active again....for me

      Delete
  3. it's funny you're talking about the Ottomans here, I've been addicted to a series I found on netflix called Magnicient Century, don't know if you've seen it but it's been fascinating to me especially as my ancestry well part of it traces back to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Freedom day. I wonder if in years to come people will celebrate the day of Brexit? I was talking about this with my family as the generations are so split over this. It is a very confusing time.

    ReplyDelete