Tuesday 6 March 2018

Kapama

Cauliflower Kapama
or 
Kounoupidi Kapama  (κουνουπιδι καπαμα)

Kapama seems to mean anything cooked in a spicy tomato sauce.  It comes from the Turkish word used to describe a ragout of mutton.  The spicy sauce can be used to cook chicken or lamb or beef, or cauliflower.  Think boeuf  bourguignon, think stew.


My m-in-law made it often in the winter when cauliflower (κουνουπιδι) was one of the few vegetables available. 

cauliflower cut into small pieces (florets)
chopped onion
chopped garlic
dash of wine
cinnamon stick
tomato paste
water
salt and lots of pepper or chili

Simple and tasty

I steamed my cauliflower, made the spicy tomato sauce with garlic, wine and cinnamon and heated them up together.

My m-in-law added olive oil to a big pan and sauteed the cauliflower pieces till they were nicely browned.

Here is her recipe -
Put half a wine glass of olive in a big pot. 
Add cauliflower pieces and brown 
Add chopped onion and garlic and brown some more
Finish the sautee-ing with half a glass of wine, red or white.

Now is the time to put in a mug of water and two big spoons of tomato paste
Add half a cinnamon stick

I don't really like cinnamon in savoury dishes but half a stick just gave it a little flavour boost without being too obvious

Add salt and pepper and something hot like fresh pepper or chili

Simmer till the cauliflower is soft and the sauce thickened a little, 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour

We ate this as a main meal (lunch) with bread and feta.  You could make it more substantial by serving it with rice or potatoes

It really made a change from boiled cauliflower with lemon juice and olive oil or the heavier cauliflower cheese.

Kali Orexi



14 comments:

  1. That looks good, I've never cooked cauliflower that way, i shall try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes the cauliflower milder and I really enjoyedit

      Delete
  2. Sounds very interesting Linda - I don't make cauliflower in many ways besides: steamed and dressed with olive oil, or grilled with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, or fried with a paste - I want to try this.
    Thank you for the recipes you put here; I have been saving some of them to try and make. I baked the bread the way you do in a pot and it came out very well :)
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying the recipes. Something a little different

      Delete
  3. I like cauliflower with a plain white sauce very much, or clear pickled cauliflower in vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried pickled vinegar though they do sometimes have something like that during Lent.

      Delete
  4. I love a version of macaroni cheese with cauliflower mixed in. I use supermarket cheese sauce when I'm feeling lazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we had supermarket cheese sauce here. Everything has to be done from scratch

      Delete
  5. There are some beautiful Caulis around at the moment, and I tend to use them only in soups. I shall try your recipe; it sounds v good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The caulis are indeed big and white now. I buy them just because they look so fresh.

      Delete
  6. I remember eating this as a child
    I really liked it. But for the life of me I don’t know why I haven’t cooked it since getting married. Many many moons ago lol
    Might have to give it a go during winter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thought here. Haven't made it in years. Saw it mentioned somewhere. Now it will be on the menu till cauliflowers are out of season

      Delete
  7. yum it sounds so delicious, think I'm going to make this.

    ReplyDelete