Thursday 15 March 2018

On the Sea

These photos were taken by my son-in-law Kyriakos, Captain of the water taxi Socrates.



This is typical of some of the luxury yachts that anchor offshore for a few hours or a few days. Rumours gallop around the island that the Sheik of Araby-k, Charles and Camilla, even dear friend of affluent politicians, George Bush the Elder , or nowadays a Russian tycoon and his entourage have come ashore and are chowing down on lobster and caviar at one of the seaside tavernas





Sunrise over the 'Modi' on an early morning fishing trip



The blue, blue Aegean


A small church on the headland.  Opened up on its fiesta when crowds arrive by small boat to light a candle or maybe for a baptism or private wedding



The lighthouse at the entrance to Poros harbour.  This is accessed by a hike overland following a narrow goat track 


or
from the sea by small boat
The lighthouse is no longer operational but still serves as a beacon for those arriving on the island.  We pass the lighthouse, cruise round the headland and there is the picturesque white island harbour town on the horizon



Approaching Poros.
Rounding the headland



Chief Observing Officer




13 comments:

  1. I'm loving the cat keeping watch. Think I'd like to explore the old church, I like places like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cat photo is a classic! I've only seen that church from way up in the hills above. It is truly isolated

      Delete
  2. You certainly are lucky to live where you do. All your photos remind me of fabulous holidays I've spent on the islands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I saw these photos. They are something different from those I usually take.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful deep blue colours! Beautiful place you live in, Linda!
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason that deep blue made me think of Capri, though I've never visited. The Mediterranean has some beautiful places to vsit

      Delete
  4. Great photos and a very wise looking cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful photo of the cat surveying his kingdom!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The sea is so blue but so is the sky. That's what it will be like in a few months!

      Delete
  6. Brings to life a book I read recently by Lawrence Durrell about when he spent a year or more teaching and writing on a Greek island in the 1950s. Lovely post and photos Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those Lawrence Durrel books. I have the ones written on Rhodes, Corfu and Cyrpus

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures. I don’t think I would ever tire of looking out over the blue waters
    Even though I live five minutes drive from western port bay I cannot see it from home
    Knowing it’s close though is slovenly thought and in days past. When life was hectic and not so full of ups. I’d go and and park at the water and sit and watch it and let all the worries and stresses float away

    ReplyDelete