Monday 20 February 2023

Island Life

 A few winter photos 


A sign, up here in the backwoods , which has been blasted by shotguns 
Usually the ground underneath is scattered with shotgun cartridges.  Oddly there were none this time
No hunting on Poros.  Whatever the season.  But the island is full of hunters with shotguns.  They usually hunt wild pig on the mainland.
But they get a bit bored.
There are wild goats and rabbits around us


Not a clear photo
Its an icecream fridge wrapped up till next summer.
I took the photo because of the words on the side.

"Icecream made from fresh daily sheep's milk"

Sheep's milk?  Interesting.  I may have to try one of these icecreams next summer.
Just so I can report back on the taste of sheep's milk icecream





A black cat crossed my path
as he headed up these green mossy winter steps.
They'll be cleaned and whitewashed before Greek Easter


A stone house


Most steps are green, full of weeds and moss at this time of the year.
Beware
They're very slippery. The Municipality have put railings alongside most of them. But not all


Poppi hoping to find some space to store the Xmas tree and decorations.
She has a system.
And a note of the contents stuck on the door.
Soon she'll be down-loading the summer 'stuff', fans, outdoor cushions. Hard to believe when it's 6oC.



Buying fish from the market.
K in winter mode.
There was some nice big cod there. At 15euros a kilo just a little too expensive for us.
He bought a kilo of a smaller fish, but tastier he says.
6 euro a kilo.
Come back in an hour and it will be gutted and scaled.
A new service which we really appreciate.

25 comments:

  1. A label of the contents on the door - a girl after my own heart! Good for her! I never thought of the maintenance on the steps. In my mind everything in Greece is just constantly white and blue! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A list makes life easier, especially when it's on the door of that store cupboard!

      Delete
  2. The gutting service sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to gut and scale the fish, then I made K do it. Thank goodness we get them ready to eat now

      Delete
  3. I’d rather the smaller tastier fish for way less too.
    I’d love to know what the icecream tastes like too. So I might have to remind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheeps milk is easy to find here but that's the first time I've ever seen icecream made out of it

      Delete
  4. Hunters do the same in France.... I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here there aren't many birds or rabbits. They've shot them all. Now anything's a target it seems

      Delete
  5. We have similar pot shotters here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, shoot at a rock or a fence post ! Why do they have to destroy signs

      Delete
  6. If they brought sand from the beach and brushed the steps with it the salt would kill any moss or algae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a very good solution. But, it would take organisation and hard work. Here they pull the weeds but they don't come back till next winter because the summer sun fries them

      Delete
    2. Fries the weeds not the workers 🤣

      Delete
  7. That ice cream sounds ... interesting 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't know about sheeps milk though icecream has so much sugar and other flavour you might not notice

      Delete
  8. mmmmm fresh fish. Lucky you. And someone to cook it for you. Even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect combo. Though I'd prefer it was filleted too. Am I asking too much?

      Delete
  9. I've heard of people consuming sheeps milk, in fact here I think there is a type of cheese made of it, it's meant to be really nice but I haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get all sorts of sheep milk products. It's popular here. They milk their sheep herds daily, like a goat or cow.

      Delete
  10. Gutted and scaled is certainly a service I too would appreciate. I too would get the cheaper fish as long as it's fresh then why pay more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheaper fish is still fresh and a lot of people prefer them. Sort of fish most family fishermen would bring home

      Delete
  11. I never have fresh fish, with the exception of when I visit family in Texas. I would love to plan a trip to Padre Island and buy some gulf shrimp while I'm there. My fav is catfish ~ it fries up so delicious and tender. We used to find it in the grocery store, but I haven't seen it in years here in NM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds wonderful!! And the shrimp yum

      Delete
  12. Looking at those mossy weedy steps makes you realise how quickly nature can take over. Just as well they get cleaned each year!
    Our fresh fish is getting so expensive that it is becoming a real luxury to have some. More the shame, as I love fresh fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our fresh fish is getting expensive here too - sad when the bay is just over the road! Great service from the fish seller. Shot out signs are a common sight in country areas here too.

    ReplyDelete