Saturday 11 June 2022

Make.do.grow

 Make.Do.Grow is the name of a Youtube channel, well worth watching.  A young english couple bought a few acres in Portugal.  The work they have done and are still doing, by themselves, is incredible.  And their videos are well edited and very clearly and humourously narrated.  Well worth a watch.

'Follow our journey of restoring and rejuvenating an old, neglected, small farm estate in central Portugal. Join us as we make, do and grow: from no-dig gardening to raising animals, building infrastructure, regenerating the land, preserving the harvests and cooking up a storm'


While watching their videos I came across one on their liqueur making.  They make alcohol out of the fruit growing on the land and the recipes are so simple anyone could/can do the same.  They steep the fruit in spirits and make a simple sugar syrup, one part water, one part sugar.  Fruit and booze and syrup.  And the booze they use is the Portuguese fire water, aguardiente, which sounded very much like our greek raki.  


I made limoncello months ago with raki but it was barely drinkable.  The raki has a very strong taste and it seemed to over power the lemon and the sugar, even though I had used plenty of lemon peel.  Now I had watched their process I decided it was time to tweek my own limoncello and hopefully make it more pleasant.



So I added about a litre of sugar syrup and made one bottle into two almost full bottles.  So now if it isn't drinkable I've got twice the amount.  Glory me!

I've got a shot glass in front of me now, having just spilled the first one over the floor.  It took quite an effort to clean up all the sticky, sugary stuff.  I tasted it when I did the tweeking, didn't like it, but maybe a couple of weeks in the bottle has improved it.  It smells like wallpaper paste.  That's a good start?

Here goes. No.  It's sweet and drinkable but no way would I call it limoncello.  I can see it being used to flavour cakes and trifles for many years to come.  Unless I can fob it off onto someone else.  

It's the raki.  It would have been ok I think if I had used vodka but we don't have spare vodka hanging around the house.  I've got a bottle of red wine in the fridge.  I'll make some rose pelargonium liqueur.  That's always a winner.  Red wine, pelargonium leaves and flowers, sugar and a bit of patience.

Meantime I'll just finish off this shot glass and maybe pour another just to make sure I'm not mistaken.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like my cup of tea or Portuguese glass of wine. I would love to live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I found this YouTube channel . Quite a few English couples seem to have a similar idea. There are several YouTube channels showing the places that have been bought and renovated

      Delete
  2. That set us laughing. F made scented pelargonium vodka this year but hasn't tried it yet. A few years ago our top cupboard had a selection of sloe, elderberry, blackberry, strawberry and rhubarb, and something called sweet cicely, all in a range of cheap spirits. The ones in brandy were vile. They got pushed to the back and forgotten. A year (or possibly 2) later they had mellowed and were absolutely lovely. Just give it some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I won't be rushing to drink it that's for sure. Mellow yellow it shall be

      Delete
  3. I watched a few of the videos, and now I'm exhausted ~ and I didn't do anything! Lol. Seriously, I admire their fortitude and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have amazing energy. Don't know they manage such hard work and in high temps. And they work so well together.

      Delete
  4. I think I would love watching the you tube channel. Since you posted the lemoncello I’ve been making it with the grappa the neighbour gives us. Oh my. It goes down well. I mix it with some sugar free lemonade but my son and hubby like to just sip it on it’s own
    I did try to make it with vodka but it didn’t turn that lovely lemoncello colour. It was yellow but stayed clear. Still it tasted nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made some lemonade. It's in the fridge now. I shall try the combo. I imagine it will be much nicer.
      The colour is a dark cloudy yellow. Don't know what happened there. But if its an enjoyable drink I don't care. I always used to make liqueurs with vodka but the price has crept up and its not worth it anymore

      Delete
  5. I have a few bottles of Eau de Vie hanging around, which would make excellent Limoncello. I never drink Eau de Vie, it gives me a headache. I use it very occasionally for preserving Cherries, or Prunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the limoncello. Just make a small batch. Good luck to you

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a lot of sugar to drink! Hope your second shot didn't end up on the floor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those liqueurs are full of sugar. It doesn't do to drink more than a shot glass or use it with lots of ice and soda water

      Delete
    2. I managed the second glass without mishap. The alcohol steadied my hand lol

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look up that youtube channel.

    ReplyDelete