Friday 18 September 2020

On Holiday

Holidays in the covid era.  A week at a Navy resort, all sanitised and subsidised.

Having been to this Navy hideaway a few times over the years  we knew it would be safe and hopefully, weather permitting, an enjoyable few days break.  Uusally we stay for 12 days but this year it  was for 6 days.  One week the odd number rooms are occupied and the next the even numbered rooms.  Inbetween they are all cleaned and sanitised and everything is ship-shape and Bristol fashion.


We started out with a Civil Defence warning of gale force winds and very high fire risk.  Poros was clouded in smoke as we departed but the fire was way north on the mainland.  





The whole area is green and extremely well maintained
I discovered the secret to all that green lawn at 2.30am the first night when I woke to the sound of water sprinklers.  They came on at 2.30am every night.  I presume they were watering different parts each night and they must have a very good water source.

The trees are eucalyptus, pine and olive


A shaded walk down to the beach


Sunbeds, umbrellas
A clean sea full of fish.  No fishing allowed so the shoals of fish were quite tame and loved nipping at soft human flesh


This year there were these great big comfy beach pillows too
I didn't try one.  If I had sunk into that I would never have been able to get out again


Subsidised meals.
Greek salad and fish being our favourite.  With wine

I heard the night bird for the first time this summer and even saw a few planes flying overhead.

The first day gale force winds blew up a sandstorm which blasted us on the beach.  

The next few days the winds died down and we really relaxed.  Nothing much else to do.  Swimming, eating and sleeping.  We got in loads of exercise because walking is the only way of getting around, or bicycling, and we both spent hours in the sea, swimming up and down and listening in on Navy gossip.  Little groups bobbed about and noise carries a long way over the water. 

Sounds wonderful doesn't it.  What could go wrong.

-Wild fires all around us.  All extinguished  before they got too close to us.
-Pizza that was uneatable.  That was a big downer for me.  Is pizza ever inedible.  It is when it's soggy and undercooked and there are great slabs of pink hammy stuff which doesn't taste nice.
K enthused over the ouzeri so I let the pizza go.  There were 5 different brands of ouzo with octopus, shrimp and many small fish-of- the-season.  He was a happy camper.
-I got sunburnt ears.
-An earthquake. Just a small one.
-But it was me that buggered up the holiday.   I was walking down a wheelchair ramp and one of my feet just slipped out from under me.  I sat rather hard on my behind and twisted my ankle.  That was the end of my walking and swimming.  Fortunately I didn't fall forward and flat on my face.  And fortunately it happened at the end of the holiday so we didn't miss too much.

    We are home now and have been preparing for a mediterranean cyclone which will reach us tonight.  It is already battering the Ionion Islands, Corfu, Zakynthos and Kefalonia.

I can hobble around now so I've been helping K bring in summer furniture and secure anthing that might be carried away by something more than gale force winds .



15 comments:

  1. I was thinking how idyllic it all sounded until you mentioned the fall. Glad you are improving. Hope the cyclone does not do too much damage. Yesterday I mentioned stopping my walk because of the strong winds that nearly blew me over and read last night that two trucks got blown over on Auckland Harbour Bridge. The middle section will be closed for a while as damage has been done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother in Perth said they were getting strong winds too. Is it the moon?
      Two trucks getting blown over. That sounds stronger than our winds even

      Delete
  2. Your holiday sounded wonderful very relaxing despite everything going on. Sorry to hear you fell over and twisted your ankle, I hope it is much better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm resting my ankle and making the most of my 'disability ' lol

      Delete
  3. Other than your final curtsy, it all sounded wonderful. I think our weather is changing everywhere.... it must be autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly is early for the first rain. Not complaining though some further west and north have been devestated

      Delete
  4. Sounds almost perfect.
    Hope your ankle is feeling better
    And that cyclone downgrades to nothing more than a stork
    Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ankle is much better but I'm not letting that known!! Hee hee

      Delete
  5. Here it is still 35 degrees and a full lockdown for at least three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 35 and lockdown again. Oh boy Yael, stay strong

      Delete
  6. Adventures have their hazards, eh? I am glad you weren't terribly hurt by your fall. It all looks so pretty and relaxing, well, after the storm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trees swayed alarmingly in the storm. It was amazing to watch from our protected balcony

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like much to be thankful for - a great holiday, an ankle that is improving (though I am sure you could have done without the fall), and surviving a bad storm (we have seen it on our news). Take care, Mxx

    ReplyDelete