Monday 7 September 2020

Culture Shock


BLOG first  written 2007  

Culture shock – besides remembering to drive on the other side of the road and get used to the flash and the windscreen wiper being on the opposite side of the steering wheel and the hand-brake of course, that’s on the right, not the left, there are other little shocks to the system which keep you on your toes in this foreign country. 

Most important is the subject of toilet paper.  DON’T even think about putting your ‘used’ paper down the toilet.  It does block the drains.  Ask me, I’ve got ‘hands on’ experience!  Put all your paper in the bin provided – or on the floor if it is overflowing.

Toilets generally are getting more civilised, cleaner and sometimes even pleasant.

- wine.  The first glass is the worst, baby.  You just gotta know that it gets better.  The more you drink, the more it resembles champagne – the home made stuff you buy from a barrel in a ‘cave’ next to the goat’s cheese. It slips down easier after the second and third glass and by the end of the evening you could almost be enjoying its ruby roughness – or you could always drink Amstel or Heineken.....or Mythos.
2020
Wine has improved immensely. Some of the local white almost tastes like a fruity sauv blanc. Retsina, the white wine flavoured with pine resin is hard to find. Once it was all you could get.

- television.  It’s all greek, except for ‘Days of our Lives’, ‘The Young and the Restless’ , oh and ‘Friends’ and the ‘Gilmore Girls’ – english with subtitles!  You don’t get any NZ news here unless its some maniac wiping out his whanau or a giant sea lion attacking parked cars in Napier.  The human interest stuff.  But that’s ok because you don’t get any greek news in NZ unless the whole of the Peloponese is turned to ash by wild fires.  Television news is politics, weather and the celebration of some minor triumph by the national football team or the discovery of a vaccine by some ‘greek’ who was born in Australia to parents whose distant relatives came from Kalamata or Paleokastritsa.  Endlessly they go over the same subject, a panel of highly biased politicians and journalists  examining every twist and turn, discussing, arguing, accusing, yelling, until you’re actually forced to turn the darn thing off.

2020
Nowadays it's endless covid statistics and Erdogan's  (Turkey)  rhetoric rages

- back to cars again.  Don’t bother with seat belts, helmets or stopping at red lights unless you live in Athens. If you double or triple park, at least leave the keys in your car so the poor devils you’ve ‘closed in’ can get out. Give way to all taxis, buses and datsun pick-ups.  Forget the right hand rule – there isn’t one. Beware of donkeys and little old women dressed in black.

2020
At least have your helmet hanging over the handlebars. We do have sporadic road blocks. Triple parking and coming to a screaming halt in the middle of the road to speak to a friend is still the norm

- if you’re polite and wait in a queue you’ll still be there when the shop closes. When greeks see a queue they automatically go straight to the front.  When your bus arrives, the older you are the harder you push.  Don’t be timid, this is survival of the fittest. 
2020
Nothing changed there 

When you travel on long haul flights across the world and the pilot tells you to stay in your seat with safety belt done up until the plane comes to a complete halt he is usually obeyed – unless your plane is full of greeks coming into Athens airport.  As soon as those wheels touch the ground they are all up, out of their seats, overhead lockers open and by the time the plane does come to a complete stop there are three hundred economy passengers, their hand luggage in huge bags and boxes bursting at the seams,  pawing the ground, pressing in the aisles ready to rip those business class curtains aside and GO.

- basil.  This grows in the summer in small pots on your balcony or in your yard,  You give it a shake as you walk past and its pungent summery smell envelopes you and the flies and mosquitoes.  You do not use it in cooking and never put it on the tomatoes in your greek salad.  The taste of greece is olive oil, lemons and oregano.

2020
Basil is now in recipes used by  gourmet cooks. I put small amounts in any summer dish which features tomatoes, not enough to alert traditional people to its presence though.

Actually basil is being used now by bold chefs in chic Athenian restaurants.....and presumably being actually consumed in nouvelle recipes by athenians who think this is the way to that elusive europeanisation.  The hoi polloi is very happy just being greek, efharisto.

Why DOESN’T all the world speak greek?  This is where democracy (except for women and slaves), civilisation, nay LIFE started!  Foreigners flock to greece – for its wonderful climate (45 in summer, 5 in winter), friendliness (you give me your money and I’ll give you a smile)..........sun (when WILL it rain?), sea (looks blue but this IS the med, just one big enclosed toilet) and sex (AIDS, herpes) and yes, I do love this country.  Sometimes I just get a bit cynical. 

- If you want something done then ask a cousin or grease a palm, or ask a cousin to grease a palm.  Otherwise, be patient, it won’t be ‘maniana’ (avrio) it will be next year, or maybe never.  By the way, the louder you shout, the more likely you are to get service.

2020
As above

And so on

30 comments:

  1. This made me laugh Linda. I have to say that with my septic tank I have to sympathise with the toilet thing. The aeroplane reminded me of an internal flight in Romania in the 1970s. Many had been to market in Bucharest and were returning home with chickens and one, with a goat. Nobody remained in their seats at any time including when the plane was circling to land and people continued to walk up and down. The hostesses didn't appear to mind. I don't remember any point when everybody was seating down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you when writing about septic tanks. You know the smell and you've seen the sludge. We had to dig up yards of paving stones once and clean out pipes. Never again. It's the first lesson I give visitors.
    I've never seen chickens or a goat on a flight but there used to be livestock on the rural buses.
    There's lots more too. I've made notes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have the material for a book about your life marrying a Greek.

      Delete
    2. Plenty of things to write about. I just have to write it down

      Delete
    3. I'll read your book! Start writing now.
      Love Kathryn

      Delete
  3. In some things there are many similarities with us, the Mediterranean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that many things are similar for you, Yael!

      Delete
  4. I thought you had been there a lot longer than that. Where were you before 2007. When we lived north of Kaitaia we had a septic (but could put toilet paper down it). One occasion when we had visitors (a cousin and aunt) we had a problem (roots had got into the pipes). Max got it cleared before night time and I told them that they could now use the toilet. The aunt was very deaf but both I and my cousin thought she had understood. In the morning she asked when they would be able to use the loo. She had been hanging on all night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been here since 1976! I just wrote this in 2007

      Delete
  5. Some things never change do they!! Entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This place will always be the same. Big cities are different

      Delete
  6. I have been considering traveling to Greece, but I think I'm too polite and too much of a pushover. I shall have to hire a Greek to take me around so I don't spend all day in lines, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get so mad about those who pushed on. Still do but now I will tell them off!!

      Delete
  7. Culture shock is so real. We think we are all the same but we aren't. Enjoyed your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some very basic differences, especially when you come from law abiding nz

      Delete
  8. Two years ago I asked our local roofer to come and do a small job. He never came so I risked life and limb, and did it myself. I wonder if he'll ever turn-up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you could do the job yourself. K rings these people and annoys them till they can't take any more and finally turn up on the doorstep.

      Delete
  9. Things change but so slowly it seems lol
    I laughed at the leave the keys in the car bit. I read it to hubby and we both had a good laugh. Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've left the keys in the door of the car and walked away. They were still hanging there when I got back

      Delete
  10. Laughed till I cried, still seeing it all in places. I do however 'embrace' the toilet paper thing. The whole world should do it. Too many people use the 'out-of-sight-out-of-mind' principle when it comes to what they put down the toilet, and damn the pollution it causes somewhere down the line.
    Parking, driving, helmets optional - yeah all of that....
    Wine - there are some really good wines out there now. We did a vineyard visit and tasting near Argos a few weeks ago and got some real beauts.
    News? My Greek not yet good enough, but one of my neighbours turns it up LOUD on TV or radio about 0530 every morning so I get the full flavour of it daily.
    LOUD seems to be the soundtrack of Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live it daily!! So much more too.
      Our neighbour turns her radio on about the same too every morning. Fortunately we live just far enough away for it not to wake us

      Delete
  11. The Diary Of A Local Alien would be a very funny and good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dave, as you often tell me. Still proscrastinating

      Delete
  12. I loved reading that! I can't remember that mad scramble arriving by plane into Athens though (mind you that was just one flight from Santorini). I did bin the toilet paper while in Greece but I wonder how many tourists actually do this!

    The wine... we have fond memories of "George's" wine in Corfu, made out the back. It really was dreadful stuff but we loved it because of the story that went with it! As you said, after the first glass or two it got better :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been on a plane for many years. They may have calmed down a bit.
    I bet they're still first up and out of their seats though 😂

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. You need a smile at the moment!!!

      Delete
  15. oh man that's alot to deal with, I don't know how I'd feel about not being able to flush loo paper, that's kinda ewww and driving on the right hand side of the road is confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The loo paper situation is extremely yucky and even after 44 years I hate it!!!!!!!

      Delete