Friday 26 June 2020

Walnuts

Thanks to Cro and his informative blog I learnt of pickled walnuts.  A traditional english pickle says Wikipedia.  Well, you know how I love traditional things.   Now I have the chance to pickle my own.

Towards the end of June is the ideal time to pick the walnuts before they become the hard dried brown nut that we all know.  I happened to park under my daughter's walnut tree a few weeks ago.  There are walnut trees all around here and I hadn't even noticed.  They are all green and leafy and the walnuts on the tree are green too and well camouflaged.


                                

  I had a lightbulb moment.  A walnut tree, mid June, might have walnuts on it.



I sent Red Riding Hood to gather a basket of goodies for her grandmother
I cut one open and it looked just like the google pages said it should.  Still soft and white inside without any formation of the brown nut






I googled.
I pricked them all over with a fork and I left them to soak in brine, 1 litre of water to 100 grams of salt, for 2 weeks.
Tomorrow I'll make up the vinegar and pickling spice solution and bottle them.
Do you put sugar in with the vinegar, Cro?  Some said add a little brown sugar, some said 'never'.  I will treat them like pickled onions,  I add honey to those.  I'll add a little brown sugar to these.

One thing the walnut pickling recipes all emphasised was 'wear gloves'.  Walnuts stain your hands and clothes and the colour will be almost impossible to remove.  Smart old me wore only one glove.  I ended up with a black thumb but I look at it with pride as a scar of walnut wars.

After a few days in the brine the water and the walnuts go as black as the ace of spades.  Not to worry. I stirred them daily, changed the brine after the first week.

At christmas we'll be eating them.
I wonder if I'll like them.  I wonder if traditonal greek people will like them

  









20 comments:

  1. Pickled walnuts are truly scary. Of course a cat wouldn't touch one, but even the humans in this household (who eat curried pickled onions!?!) are a bit shy of pickled walnuts. Good luck with them and we hope they turn out well. Liking their taste might be a question of what you eat them with. (We were told if you could push a darning needle through them you could pickle them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some English friends here who will be gifted them if I don't like them. We'll see

      Delete
  2. Hope they turn out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love pickled walnuts (must be in my genes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't change your roots no matter how many years you're absent from the motherland

      Delete
  4. You MUST add sugar, it makes all the difference. I'm surprised your nuts still have no wood forming inside. I will check mine when it's light. One thing is certain, we'll be having a very good crop of nuts in Autumn; our trees are covered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were picked about 2 weeks ago and the insides were quite soft and white. Maybe I should have cut a couple more. I'm beginning to think they're an acquired taste but I definitely want to try them and see what it's all about.

      Delete
  5. I love trying something for the first time
    I hope they taste amazing. I’ve never had pickled walnuts
    Well done you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they taste amazing too lol. I like pickled onions but these seem a bit more of an acquired taste

      Delete
  6. Now I'm so sorry there are no walnut trees here. For Christmas, I am sorry too for many years that there is not really here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you have neither. I hope these are worth the trouble.
      The walnut trees are so green and leafy in the summer. Good shade trees

      Delete
  7. I've never seen them like that, only as they come in the shops but it will be interesting to see what they taste like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of these until Cro wrote about them. Will be interesting to taste them

      Delete
  8. Never tried them. I love pickled onions and cauliflower. They would make great Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like pickled onions. We have salted cauliflower. I'll Google cauliflower and see if it's the same as the pickled one

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fun experiment. We were given some homemade ones years ago and they were disgusting, but I now wonder if that was because of the way they had been pickled. I'd like to try some more sometime. Good luck with your ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid they may not be nice. I like pickled onions but I tried pickled eggs once and they were not nice

      Delete
  10. I have never tried them, but I do love walnuts.

    ReplyDelete