Friday 15 November 2019

Sweet Greek Pumpkin Pie

14 November
St Philip (Agios Filipos) in the Greek orthodox calendar.

K says it is/was the tradition today to make pumpkin pie, greek style.  He says he will grate the pumpkin, which is actually squash. You can't get real pumpkin here. Ok I say. Go and get a squash, and raisins, and walnuts. So he did. He must have been dreaming last night of pumpkin pie he's so eager to make it.

Meanwhile the in-laws from across the water phone today to  say good morning. When I mention pumpkin pie they are mystified. Seems pumpkin pie is made on St. Theodora's day, in April.

Beef is eaten on St Philips day even though the 40 fasting days before Christmas have already started.  St Filip came home hungry after working in the fields all day and slaughtered his ox (cow?) to feed his family.  When he went out to the stables the next day there was the ox alive and well.  A miracle, I would say, if I believed in miracles.  Anyway, that's why everyone around here eats beef on the 14 November

Back to pumpkin pie -

Now we have the squash, raisins, walnuts and the appetite so we make it anyway.



First prepare the squash.  Peel it, de-seed it, cut it into manageable pieces and grate it.  You need about a kilo of grated flesh for a large baking dish of pie


Hard work.  You need a strong man to grate a kilo of pumpkin


 I made the pastry myself and my man rolled that out as well.
It should really be that thin filo pastry.  He just rolled mine out as thinly as possible.



The finished pumpkin pie


And the seeds which I have dried and put aside to plant in the spring.  My squash usually do very well and I end up with 4 or 5 to harvest at the end of summer.  This year there were none.  And the NZ pumpkin seed produced leaves and flowers but no fruit.  Twas not a year for any sort of squash or pumpkin.  

Recipe for Greek Pumpkin Pie -

pastry of your choice

1 kilo grated pumpkin
4 spoons of semolina
1 cup of sugar
3 tsps cinnamon
1 level tsp ground cloves
2 cups of raisins and sultanas
1 cup crushed walnuts

icing sugar to sift over the top

Once you've grated your pumpkin then pick it up a handful at a time and squeeze all the juice out of it.  This needs a man's strong hands too.


Mix all the rest of the ingredients into the squeezed squash.

Oil or grease a baking dish.  Roll out and lay pastry on the bottom, so it over hangs.  Spoon in the filling.  Cover with another layer of pastry.

Bake at 180o for about half and hour.  Till it is nice and brown on top.  Sift icing sugar over the top.

Savoury pumpkin pie is made with feta cheese. I'll make that another day


Kali Orexi


20 comments:

  1. That pumpkin pie sounds so interesting. It sounds a bit like our apple shortcake, but with some very different main ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of spices, raisin and walnuts. You're right, it is similar! Wish we could get all spice here. Cinnamon is easy to find and cloves. Ginger I come across now and again. Nutmeg I usually grate. I'll put allspice on my list for the next visitor along with vanilla essence. We need more, lots more!

      Delete
  2. It's Pumpkin Soup here, but the seeds on a piece of kitchen roll is exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use the seeds though have never collected enough to bake. Pumpkin seeds are a tasty snack around here.
      Pumpkin soup will be definitely be amde with the other half of this squash!!

      Delete
  3. After all that grating, I hope he enjoyed the pie.

    I like the story of the miracle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I onlu grated one small oiece and it was enough for me. Thankfully it was his idea so he did all the hard work!

      Delete
  4. All look so good, may be i'll try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually very easy....once you've grated the squash. There are gadgets which make it easier.

      Delete
  5. What success rate do you have with the pumpkin seeds and when do you plant them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pumpkin seeds from the squash usually do exceptionally well. The plants crawl all over the garden in mid summer. This year though I got no pumpkins. An off year? I'll definitely plant those seeds in spring

      Delete
  6. I would like to try that recipe. It looks as though it would fit nicely with my low cholesterol diet. Can you send me a piece?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual we made far too much and there are leftovers even after we gave half away. You're welcome to a couple of big wedges!!

      Delete
  7. This pumpkin pie sounds and looks great. Even if you found it was the wrong day for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many darn traditions. Hard to keep up with them all. The in-laws are v close to the church and the old ways. A mine of information

      Delete
  8. The title seems incongruous... Greek Pumpkin Pie! -smile-

    Bet it is delicious. So glad he got a "hankering" for it!

    ⛄🔥⛄🔥⛄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing at all like your pumpkin pie. Nice for a change though it does involve some hard work

      Delete
  9. Sounds yummy
    My dad wasn’t a fan of pumpkins so I guess that’s why I don’t remember ever having it.
    I might have to give it a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something different. My sister in law makes great pumpkin pie. Hers is the authentic greek pie. She puts in loads of oil and her home made pastry is very very thin. she's a very traditional Greek, line her brither

      Delete
  10. I think squash is probably perfect acceptable as a substitute, it's just as sweet as pumpkin actually so is kumara or butternut.

    ReplyDelete