Saturday 7 September 2019

Oregano

Oregano - Rigani in Greek

Over the summer we have been given 3 large bunches of oregano.  They were all still green so we hung them out to dry.

Now is the time to rub the leaves and flowers and store the dried oregano for use in so many of our daily dishes.  Even the greek salad is not complete without a sprinkling of oregano.  My traditional person sprinkles it over the dish of feta cheese, on his boiled zucchinis, with fried aubergine, it goes in the oil and lemon dressing for fish, on toasted bread, on a bowl of olives in just about any meat dish or soup.  Offal is always served with a generous amount of lemon juice, fresh olive oil and a good sprinkling of rigani.





Here he is rubbing the flowers and leaves into a large bowl.   The smell is pungent and aromatic


The last bunch 


The stalks that remain will be saved for winter's fires


I cut our pot of oregano right back and it is sprouting again.  Now and again I use fresh oregano in cooking but the dried is easier, it is always on hand in the kitchen


3 large jars ready for the kitchen cupboard


Grown in a pot or collected from great straggly bushes on our hillsides, rigani is the most important herb in greek cooking.



18 comments:

  1. Oh yes. I love that smell.
    How are you doing by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Still got a lump on my leg but just about back to normal. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Basil, mint, thyme and oregano are all growing in the garden. I love herbs!

      Delete
  3. I really must get my herb garden going again! I love the scent of oregano!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on the area of course, but our herbs do really well even in the fierce summer heat. Lavender as well.

      Delete
  4. The freshly grown stuff, must be so superior to what we buy, in a jar!!!!

    🍁🍂🍎🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use spice plants from the same family here, I love everyone's special scent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really must grow some next year. Don't know why I have stopped. I have only just discovered Oregano Oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oregano oil? Now that's a new one to me. Must google it!

      Delete
  7. I love rigani on everything as well. But then again, I am Greek lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oregano, olive oil and lemon juice...and you've got a happy greek!

      Delete
  8. I've just been doing the same with my bunches of dried Mint. I really must grow some Oregano, the stuff I buy doesn't seem to have much aroma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mint is still alive and producing. It usually doesn't last long after mid-august and this depsite the terrific heat. I usually manage to have at least one pot of fresh during the winter

      Delete
  9. Grow a massive pot of mixed herbs and another of mint.It all gets cut back and dried or frozen at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to have a good selection of herbs through the winter

    ReplyDelete