Wednesday 29 May 2019

Kolokythakia - zucchini in the pot


Tomatoes aren't the only thing Greeks stuff.  Besides tomatoes, aubergines, green peppers, onions  these zucchini are great.  But these zucchini aren't stuffed like a tomato and baked in the oven.  These are boiled in a pot and thickened with an egg and lemon sauce. 

Something different when you've eaten baked stuffed tomatoes once a week for three months.



The zucchini/kolokythakia/courgettes are hollowed out with an apple corer or a small teaspoon

The stuffing is similar to the other 'yemista', with or without minced beef.  Rice, onions and lots of herbs, mint, basil, parsley and even a little dill.  Raisins and pine nuts are a tasty addition if you're omitting the meat.


Make a 'cork' with the top of zucchini, paring away the sides for a snug fit and lay them down in a big shallow pot.  Cover them with water, add a little olive oil


Cover them with a plate to hold them down to stop them jiggling and losing their innards.  Mind you even if the stuffing all falls out they would make a good soup.  



To finish off thicken the whole pot with an egg and lemon sauce.

An egg and the juice of a couple of lemons are beaten well together and hot juice (not boiling ) is slowly added, slowly so it doesn't all curdle.  Mix the egg lemons and liquid back into the pot, swirl the pot around a bit and you've got a real dinkum greek meal in a pot.

You don't even need a greek salad.     Just add some feta cheese, a glass of wine, bread and dig in.


20 comments:

  1. How long do you boil them? We usually get far too many ripening at once in the season so this would be a good way for me to use them up,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need about half an hour, till the rice is cooked. The zucchini should be soft by then. Poke a fork in them and simmer for another 10 minutes if you think they are a little hard still

      Delete
    2. Zucchinis can be grated into a lot of recipes. I don't like them in a cake but grate them into burgers, meatballs, stews, stirfries, meatloaf, just about anything and it adds a little bulk without too much of the zucchini flavour.
      In the winter I put leeks into everything, in the summer zuchini

      Delete
  2. I always thought Zucchini was an American word for Courgettes/Marrows? More Greek recipes please LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure which part of the world calls them zucchinis. I'll have another zucchini recipe in a few days. I'm making a greek ratatouille tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Apparently Zucchini is an Italian word. Sounds it too.

      Delete
  3. A zucchini meal, that sounds good to me!!! Needless to say, I'm not a zucchini lover.

    But baked, stuffed tomatoes! Yummmmmmmm! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not a great fan of zucchini but theyre ok as part of a dish. Sometimes I stuff a couple along with the tomatoes and green peppers. Yesterday I made a quiche and grated 2 into that. Just added bulk but didnt make a difference to the taste.

      Delete
  4. I make it often, the sauce is different, I'm interested in the egg and lemon sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sauce do you use? I'm interested in your version!

      Delete
    2. Tomato sauce, fried onion, garlic, salt, pepper, tomatoes. Sometimes a little chicken soup powder for taste.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Yael. I'll try that sauce, if my traditional person will let me

      Delete
  5. This sounds very yummy
    Only problem I always forget to check my garden and my zucchini end up huge. Way too big for the pot lol might just buy some and give it a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got 2 zucchinis from the garden last night. Rather small. K likes the big ones noilef

      Delete
  6. That looks very good. The only things I stuff are peppers; they're easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they definitely are the easiest . No faffing about with hollowing out vegetables and poking holes in them.

      Delete
  7. I've never tried cooking them that way, think I might try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a little fiddly but worth the try

      Delete