Thursday 20 December 2018

Xmas Visit to a Friend

Today I visited my dear english friend across the waters, the one that laughs with me when we come head first into a greek stone wall, the friend that laughs at me when I come out with something oddly greek , the friend who speaks english english.   At Christmas and Easter I pass on my  attempts at hot cross buns and mince pies, overcooked jam, chutney or mulled wine. She is always politely pleased




The animal society of Poros is having a Christmas bazaar.  
Someone made Sangria.  6 euros a bottle.  If you keep it more than a couple of days it blows it's top but thank goodness it's still drinkable.  Well, until you get down to the last few inches which we did today.  It was Sangria with real fruit and all the pulp had sunk to the bottom.  Even after straining it the drink was rather cloudy.  Went down just as well!   


J is a dog looker-after.  She fosters strays till they can be re-homed and looks after the health of many of the strays of Poros and Galatas.  This innocent looking fellow is George and just out of the picture is the just as 'guiltess' Taylor.  She left them alone in the house the other day and they 'investigated' the Christmas cards


Not any old Christmas cards, just those that were to be passed on to me.  Judy, I got your card and fortuntately the seeds inside those mangled packets were untouched.  I'll be planting some prized tomatoes and peppers next year.  



Yes, this is a Christmas mince pie.  It doesn't look like one?  Well, it tastes like one anyway.  I had some puff pastry in the fridge and had taken last years left-over mince meat out of the freezer and threw these together for a quick taste of foreign Christmasses.  The perfect accompaniment to cork-blowing Sangria


The view from J's house on Galatas, looking across to Poros.  Going across the waters is a big trip for me.  It feels like unexplored territory.  Silly really but it takes an effort for me to get on the car ferry and visit the friends and relatives we have five minutes across the strait. 


Leno 


This is Leno, another one of the foster dogs.  J has been looking after him for a while now.  He's a gentle soul but rather on the large side.  She calls him the polar bear.



Here you can see them both at the top of her yard.

If you would like to adopt a gentle giant then just leave me a comment.  The last foster dog, Lola, is now living in Canada.

The day was freezing with a cold wind blowing off the mountains above.  I wouldn't be surprised if the peaks had a smattering of snow by tomorrow morning.  I enjoyed my voyage across the sea and the putt-putt-putting of my quad bike as I drove along Galatas harbour.  I must make an effort and do it more often.  Usually when I board the car ferry it is in a car with my appointed chauffeur and we whizz off down the coast for some pressing appointment.




16 comments:

  1. He is adorable but there are so many dogs and cats here that need adopting too
    It’s sad people really should get their pets desexed
    I would of loved to see you on your quad xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many strays here although there is a desexing programme. Puppies and kittens are just abandoned , usually near a rubbish bin. Lots of people do look after the strays thank goidness

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful dog. I'd fill the house with dogs if allowed; sadly it's not possible. I hope he finds a new home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a real softy but needs space to run about. I hope he gets a home soon too

      Delete
  3. How wonderful going across on the ferry on your quad bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting on the car ferry which hasn't got reverse is quite a lot of work but worth it when I do. Only costs a couple of euros

      Delete
  4. Beautiful dog. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yael. Happy holidays to you and your family

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day - and well done for making the journey. I would most definitely love to adopt one of the dogs, however, should I attempt to do so, I would probably find myself in the dog house, sorry. Did you manage to find any books at the bazaar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bazaar had loads of books and not much else. It's still on tomorrow Sonu shall go again and see if anything new has been brought in.. I certainly have plenty of winter reading

      Delete
  6. Sharing the Christmas spirit with friends, how wonderful !
    Well done on your mince pies, I bought mine :)
    Those are beautiful dogs, I always wanted to run a sanctuary for homeless pets when I retired, my heart still hopes to one day.....
    Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas, enjoying all that life offers on your little island of paradise ..
    Hugs,
    ~Jo
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend often has half a dozen dogs and just as many cats but fortunately she has a large run for them. It's a lot of work!

      Delete
  7. I like the look of the mince pie. It reminds me of the sort of thing my mother used to do. She baked every week and quite often would disassemble things so they looked nothing like what they were supposed to look. (like they do on Master Chef these days and think they are brilliant and it has never been done before) My mother did it like that because she was often in a hurry. They always tasted good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I sound just like your mother. These new tasted exactly as a mince pie should. Today I made more mincemeat and mince pies. They look quite conventional but definitely do not have the same spicy taste.
      I'll put the mincemeat in the fridge again till next year with a bit more brandy. Maybe it'll mature

      Delete
  8. I've never tasted sangria but I love your little puff pastry - as a child my mum use to let me make them out of left over pastry but inside I use to put jam and it was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm jam tarts. Wonderful!!!
      Sangria is really just sweet wine but we put in vodka to make it more interesting and try to make it not quite so sweet

      Delete