Tuesday 5 March 2024

March Merriment

-  Sunday 3 March

Tou Asotou.  Feast of the Prodigal Son


K considers this as his personal day of celebration along with all his friends. Naughty boys now grown old and grey and kept under control by their doctors.

- 8th March

International Women's Day.  This used to be a huge celebration on the island.  The older women would dress up in their Sunday best, joining up with friends. First for a meal and then to dance on tables at the waterfront bars.  I went a few times with my sister-in-law but backed out as soon as she found other company.  Not my idea of fun. 

Nowadays there are still groups of girls and women that gather for a drink and a laugh.  However it's nothing like the good old days when Poros women would take over the tavernas and bars and dance all night.

- Tsiknopempti

Smokey Thursday.  The last big meat eating day before Lent.  Next week is Cheese Week and then comes Clean Monday which marks the beginning of the Orthodox Lent.  Greek Easter isn't till 5 May this year.

On meat eating Thursday we will be having a BBQ and eating lamb chops, kebab and sausages with Greek salad, lots of tzatziki and more than a few glasses of bubbly Prosecco.

- Carnival.  Carnival festivities are ramping up .  The last weekend before Lent there are huge parades and celebrations of local customs  all over the country.  Our Municipality organises activities for the local children who all come in costume.  The schools put on a masquerade party and bbq in the school yard .  

-  18 March  

Kathara Deftera. Clean Monday.  First day of Lent.  The beginning of the long fast.

This is a public holiday and a huge celebration.  Hopefully the weather will be fine.  It's a long weekend and Poros will be full of Greek visitors.  Tavernas will sell mountains of fried kalamari, octopus, shellfish, and sell gallons of wine and ouzo.  Ouzo is 'the' drink with shellfish, octopus and squid.

If there's any sort of a breeze then children, with any adults left standing, will be out trying to fly a kite.

For the 7 weeks of Lent very strict followers of the Orthodox church will eat no meat, fish, dairy, eggs, drink no wine and on certain days of the week abstain from olive oil as well.   Not many follow these rules.  My sister-in-law usually does the full fast and members of the family are known to stop eating meat for the duration.  


- March 25th 

Church festival and the day marking the start of the revolt, in 1821,  against Turkish occupation and oppression.  There will be church services, the laying of wreaths under the War Memorial, speeches and a parade by school children.  Then we usually gather at a family home and eat salt cod, beetroot and garlic sauce.  It is one of the few days during Lent when it is permitted to eat fish, and drink wine of course.

All these plus St Patrick's day and 2 family birthdays.





14 comments:

  1. Busy, busy, busy. There's never a dull moment on Poros LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're damn right. Even I'm exhausted reading all that

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. No, you just need another holiday . So do I

      Delete
  3. It’s a very long fast this year. As children we did it for a week but honestly I don’t go to church unless someone dies, marrys or baptism.
    My grandmother, bless her. Would say. It’s not what goes into your mouth but what comes out that says how good a Christian you are.
    I totally agree with her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people do the fast for the last week. I don't. And I only go to church for the same reasons.
      Your grandmother was very wise

      Delete
  4. What a great time of year to be Greek. Even Lent has its lenient day! Its the Spring awakening.... (and despite being such devoted meat eaters, Greeks have one of the best vegetarian cuisines in the world, so even Lent isn't a huge hardship.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, K is going to try without meat but he certainly won't go hungry. The menu has so many vegetable and pulse recipes.

      Delete
  5. For Lent I think I might last until lunchtime. Frankly I would never join a club that told me what I could or couldn't eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give up with my morning coffee. I have to have milk

      Delete
  6. I really enjoy reading about all of these customs but I often wonder how you felt when you were newly immersed in them. Did you embrace it all gladly, or did you find it confusing? I fear I would flag after a couple of weeks, if I lasted that long!
    Enjoy those celebrations - but no dancing on the tables for a few more weeks yet, young lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought all the rules and strict customs were ridiculous and dug my heals in. I got lectures from M in law and soon found I had a more peaceful life if I just pretended and did what I wanted.
      No dancing! I do t think I've got the energy to even climb on the table

      Delete
  7. Well that lot will certainly keep you busy. Hope you are well on the road to recovery now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling very well and taking it very easy ! Others are keeping up with those customs

      Delete