Saturday 14 October 2023

Walking the Ruins

 I am walking daily now the worst heat is over so I  took my quad bike up to the Temple to Poseidon to see if there were any wild cyclamen growing up there and walk along a different stretch of road.  The cyclamen love to grow around rocks and in the pine needles where little else will grow.

I took a few photos of the area while it is still dry and brown.  Soon it will be green and grassy and the stones that remain, very few, will be covered.



The entrance way to the Temple for Poseidon.  So they say.  There is nothing left but a few stones forming the boundary


Inside the Temple area itself.  Now a small grove of pines




My ancient throne.
  My handy marble seat, maybe from a column.  I always sit here to contemplate and enjoy the silence.  Yesterday it was too hot, at 4pm, and I had to move and perch on a wall


A plinth.  The white marble base of a column.  





This is a semi circle of marble with what looks like seating but probably isn't.  Twenty years ago we would bring the grandchildren up here to play in the dirt and sit and have a picnic.  There is now rope around this place .  This doesn't stop anyone from jumping over though.
The whole Temple area is free to all visitors and the gate is never closed.  There is no guard with a whistle as there is on the Acropolis.  You don't dare to get close enough to touch anything up near the Parthenon.


The only 'large' area of stone wall that remains




Cyclamen and a forest of dry spiky sea squills.
This is their year.  There are growing everywhere in dry stoney ground.  Underneath is a huge bulb which is extremely difficult to dig up (as Cro knows).  The bulb is hung on the outside door at New Year to bring good luck



The view from the Temple.  You can see the straits leading to Poros and right across to the mainland.  At night the lights along the coast from Athens can be clearly seen



21 comments:

  1. That looks so blissfully peaceful.
    Not so hot here. 8C and hailstones earlier. Brrr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect weather here. Typical October . For Greece

      Delete
  2. To be able to stroll alone amongst the ruins would be a wonderful thing. Also sit and contemplate the wonders of the universe
    I’d could sit and watch that view for hours every day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice up there, except on a winter gale. And usually there's no one else either!

      Delete
  3. A lovely spot for a walk and contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful in summer and winter. And I have an ancient throne to sit on

      Delete
  4. You remembered!!! Yes, I tried to dig one up on the island of Formentera; but failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did remember! I always wondered why it was so difficult. Apparently the bulbs are huge and can weigh up to 2 kilos.

      Delete
  5. Oh the memories, I was there in 1989! I actually have a photo of myself and husband sat on the semi-circle of marble - no ropes then! I loved my visit to Poros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! There are no big ruins to explore but there's a lot of history

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful place to walk every day. I also walk every morning even at times like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you can still enjoy fresh air. And walking keeps your body and ming healthy

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful place to walk and enjoy the peace and fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been up there a few times recently and I'm going again today. I'm lucky to live close

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can imagine how peaceful it is there, interesting about the cyclamen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is their year. They're everywhere. A colourful sign of the end of summer

      Delete
  10. That does look very hot, looks like Summer is lasting a bit longer for you than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lasting lol. Rain forecast now though it might only be for the north. Days are warm and bright

      Delete
  11. So envious. You dont know what you had until you are surrounded by high rise and belching traffic. Your photos have that divine golden autumn light feel about them

    ReplyDelete