Wednesday 27 September 2023

Greek Piranha

The fish at the Navy resort are protected.  Heaven knows why.  No fishing inside the bay.  There are buoys strung along the harbour mouth and if a little paddle boat goes out too far from shore or a fishing boat dares to enter sacred waters a little inflatable with a powerful motor, and half a dozen  sailors zips out there to sort out the situation.  Fishing boats actually never come near the bay, not in summer. 

There are schools of tasty eating-fish only this time it's the fish doing the eating.  

I've written about this in years gone by.  Their teeth are razor sharp and there's a lot of yelling if you're on their radar.  They go for a spot on your leg, make a break in the skin and then zoom in again and again.  You make a run for deeper water where they leave you alone and get ready to go through the war zone on your return, blood dripping down your leg.


Early morning is worse when the sea is calmer and there are fewer people.  As the day warms up and there are more legs kicking through the waves they retreat.


K and I both got bitten.  I just covered my trauma with a plaster and they left me alone.  K got dive bombed every day and eventually went to the doctor on the beach to get his wounds treated.


Once you've got a battle wound and they know there's some tasty flesh they dive bomb the wound.  You're their dish of the day



K and his luscious limbs
after medical intervention

I hope the fishermen from the village along the coast, or the sailors who winter at the resort, get out there with nets and catch the damn things.

K assures me the schools of fish are some of the best eating in Aegean waters.



16 comments:

  1. Oh no. Sounds painful.
    I don’t think I’d go in the water at all. No matter how hot it is. I don’t like biting things
    Hope you heal quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There bites were unexpected and very painful. Horrid fish. It meant I had to make a quick entrance and dunk under the cold water so I could swim for safety. I much prefer to get in slowly and get used to the cold water

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And the beach was so nice and sandy and shallow when wading in. They were a damn nuisance

      Delete
  3. Ooh... scary. Swimming is bad for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The water wasn't exactly warm either.
      Didn't want to be a sissy. Cold water is supposed to be good for saggy skin.

      Delete
  4. I´m afraid that would put me right off entering the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were plenty of other people to bite but K and I seem to have been particularly tasty

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It got hot and the water looked so inviting we ran the gauntlet everyday . Worth it once we were out of the shallows

      Delete
  6. Our secretary mentioned the bitey fish at the beaches and we just assumed she was being dramatic. Fortunately we never encountered them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local beach has bitey fish on occasion but they give more of a nibble than a nip

      Delete
  7. Oh My Goodness... that is awful! I'd certainly be avoiding the water until they retreated. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue sea was so inviting. We took the plunge everyday and hoped they'd keep away.
      Nothing much else to do on a beach holiday lol

      Delete
  8. Time to eat them rather than them eating you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K was itching to catch them but it's just not possible. I'm sure the people who look after the place during winter have a lot of fish meals. I hope they do anyway

      Delete