Monday 7 August 2023

Goats and the Garden

The title is Goats AND the garden and not Goats IN the garden thank goodness, although I did leave the street gate open the other night. That would have been fun, chasing goats out of the garden at some ungodly hour in still ungodly heat.



It's a jungle out there

This is part of our grapevine which hangs over the wall into the driveway of our english neighbours.  It often needs pruning or they would be driving through a forest of projecting vines.

The water from our burst pipes (still broken and pouring out water) flows down this driveway and the grapevine must be drinking up the moisture.  At the beginning of summer it looked as though we were going to have a good harvest of grapes.  Since then most of the bunches have withered and dried.  But the foliage has taken over as never before.  The vine must be putting all of it's strength into producing those leaves and canes.  Some of them are thicker than my thumb, a couple of metres long, very strong and hard to prune.
I have pruned what I can by hanging over our terrace but it's just too difficult. I can't get onto the driveway till they return because the gate is padlocked. Young grandchildren, who easily climb down there, are all busy working this summer and Poppi is training for a big national rowing competition in September.

 


Meanwhile our herd of goats trot down to drink water every morning and evening.
The piece of land further down is abandoned and was full of long dry grass, a real fire hazard.  The goats have trimmed most of that down and they've trimmed all the olive trees as well.  I reward them with bundles of any prunings from the garden and plants that would normally go on the compost heap.

Today we have a water cut because our local reservoir has drained dry. The whole area is without water. They'll keep the water off till the tank refills.  Don't know how that happened??? 

Of course when the water returns everyone, including me, will be frantically using it to wash dishes, empty toilets and have a shower. Ftoo and back to an empty reservoir once more. 
I had better fill up a couple of buckets  to be ready for the next water cut. 





16 comments:

  1. Oh dear, sorry to hear you are without water!! I hope it’s rectified soon! I enjoyed the update on the wandering goats! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came and fixed the biggest leak tonight so at least we have water . The goats only have a smaller leak . I'll put out a bucket of water for them. I'll miss the goats when they wander elsewhere for eater

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness the goats are keeping the tinder dry grass down, especially with water cuts. We can send you some of our H2o... we have more than enough here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rain on the horizon here. No heat wave just at the moment but more predicted

      Delete
  3. Linda - we have you to thank for all Tigger's followers and friends. We restarted blogging during first lockdown in Greece, and we started by trying to find a blog written by an English speaking ex-pat who had made a home in Greece. We wanted their take on being Greek to help guide us. We followed you, and started reading and following some of your connections, and pushed out tiny tendrils from there. Now a whole coommunity around the world have sent us condolences for Tigger. He helped me take a kinder and calmer approach to the world and I hope i can take those lessons with me always. (F) Meanwhile we hope your water situation is resolved really soon - prerably with sustained lighf rain (not the flooding eroding kind). (F)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your reply on the blog. I was like you, seeking kiwis who were writing blogs. I was very pleased to find you in Piraeus. Unfortunately we never got to meet. Going in to Piraues is something we rarely do anymore.
      I really enjoyed Mr Ts adventures in the city. We lived nearby for over ten years. It was a delight to read a blog from someone who saw the other side of Greek life.
      Im glad so many others could enjoy Mr T too. He was a cat of great character and wisdom

      Delete
  4. No water in the heat must be difficult to cope with. I feel for you. We are in the middle of winter here and it is 30C at the moment - the world has gone mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world has gone mad. I read the news and wonder at mans inhumanity to man

      Delete
  5. Sorry about anonymous! I've sorted myself out now, but it was hard to delete Tigger's profile. Result is my name Mr T's profile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiggers Mum I'm glad you'll continue to blog. I'm sure he'll be up there guiding your hand

      Delete
  6. Jeez I wonder why there’s no water. Stupid government officials.
    Yes I’d definitely be filling buckets and bottles and anything else I can get my hands on. If you have a bathtub I’d even put some water in that. That way if you get too hot and sweaty you can just go in and have a quick wash. The cold will help cool you down too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only have a shower . I've got a couple of buckets full outside in case k wants a drenching

      Delete
  7. I have one Black Hamburg eating grape; which has just a few dried-up bunches. But my non-eating wine grapes are loaded as usual. Nature is a beast some times. You need to prune in winter after all the leaves have gone. Prune back really hard to the main stem. Leave about 3 ins of side growth only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually prune right down in February but these vines have gone mad. In fact I'm only trimming.
      Our neighbours always give us bags of wine grapes. I never know what to do with them. Compost or the goats this year. Unless I can be bothered juicing them

      Delete
  8. My livestock seem to be beating the compost heap for weeds at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just put the seeds from our latest melon on the compost. I think it's too late for them to sprout. I should have dried some seeds for next year. The melon was luscious

      Delete