Sunday 14 February 2021

Valentines Day

A 'non' day. A few days ago it was international Pizza Day. Far more interesting and tasty . I made one with dashings of garlic. I think I'm still burping the stuff. Bad idea. I was trying for 'pizza-garlic bread'. Both are great but not together.


Hairdressers are on lockdown, churches can only hold services with priest and chanter but Flower Shops will be allowed to remain open till Valentines Day


Storm Medea is bringing high winds, rain and snow to all of Greece.  Today we lit the stove early in the morning and K made his winter favourite boiled mutton soup.  I happily ate boiled potatoes and coleslaw.




Medea . Grandaughter of the sun god Helios.   A powerful sorceress, an enchantress.

Medea fell in love and married Jason of the Argonauts, who sought the golden fleece.  Jason eventually abandoned her to marry Creusa.  Medea, who has already killed her own brother,  poisons Creusa and her father, murders her own sons.  She then marries another king, Aegeus, tries to poison his son Theseus who slayed the minatour of Crete. 

Her mythical life   is a greek tragedy, this one written by tragedian (what a word) Euripides


 

20 comments:

  1. Hmmm.. she seems like a nice girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best pic I could find. Sort out f brooding evil

      Delete
  2. She's definitely got that enchantress look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of her!
      I keep looking out the window. No snow flakes yet

      Delete
  3. There will also be a small storm here on Wednesday, the storms here are so small and rare and have no names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuesday is supposed to be the worst day here. Enjoy your little storm

      Delete
  4. Rain here - Level 3 in Auckland and Level 2 here, while they try and find the source of three new cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you lockdown immediately and don't let it spread.

      Delete
  5. Sunny here but we are in stage 4 lockdown for 5 days, will see what happens next Wednesday. The UK strain of the virus has escaped from the quarantine hotel. I hope thenst4ommks not too bad for you. Don't think Imwould want to get on the wrong side of Medea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few cases of that UK strain here. I hope it doesn't make the whole situation drag on even more. Stay safe!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful painting but I wouldn't want to meet her. I can't keep track of what is in lockdown and what is not, here in California. I am staying home, having food delivered, 24/7 until I get my second jab. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best thing to do, stay home and stay safe. At least you've had the first jab. Roll on the second!

      Delete
  7. They were a rough lot those ancient gods; they never stopped killing each other, and their own children. I shall check my Robert Graves 'The Greek Myths' to find out more about the charming Medea. 6 C and windy here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chopping off limbs, gouging out eyes, and that's what they did to their loved ones. Certainly makes great stuff for those Greek tragedies

      Delete
  8. Shoot, stab or poison first and ask questions later. I can see why Jason thought better of his first choice of wife! As for boiled mutton soup - not your thing? Tigger is with you on that; will eat most meat but not sheep. (F calls me fussy cat. I think I have a refined palette.) xxx Mr T ps - we can't see you through this fluff falling out of the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got fluff? Dammit, why haven't we got any of that here? It's darn cold enough

      Delete
  9. I’m so happy I’m just a mortal I wouldn’t have the the energy to live the life of a god!
    Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had the wood stove lit from early morning these days. The temperatures are finally starting to rise

      Delete
  10. I've never tried mutton soup, would the meat be alot tender because its' being cooked slowly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly needs a long slow cook and is usually very tender.

      Delete