Tuesday 21 January 2020

Angels et all

When you find a feather in your path you know your guardian angel is looking out for you.




When feathers are near angels appear, so they say

I'm always on the lookout for feathers in my path.  If I'm off to the doctor or some sort of exam then a feather, no matter how small and fluffy just gives me a boost.  You don't need to believe to enjoy the feeling.  Hey, there's someone up there looking down at me, even if it is just a moulting bird.

Tall grandson has a friend who won't take a knife from his friends' hands.  It has to be put on the table by the giver and picked up by the receiver or they will surely quarrel. 

The same goes for soap.  It can't be handed from one person to the other.



And scissors must be kept closed when not in use.  I've heard this before.  I left a pair of secataurs open when I had finished pruning and our neighbour closed them saying to keep them that way if I didn't want any family fights.  Now Tall grandson tells me off everytime he sees the scissors not put away properly.  Not that he believes in these superstitions, but his friend does.  Unusual for one so young in this technological age

My sister-in-law believes that an owl sitting on the house and hoooting is a sign that someone in the house will die.  I can remember at one time we had some sort of owl  which hooted nearby and she would run out to chase it away.  I guess she chased Haros* away because we are still all safe and alive.

*Haros (or Charos) is a name used for death here in Greece.
Charos was the ferryman who carried the souls across the river Styx to Hades.

So many superstitions.  You should not sweep after dark.  I agree with that one.  The light of day always shows what a terrible job you've done in the dim light.  But you shouldn't eat eggs after dark either, so I was told recently.

When you sneeze it means someone is thinking of you.  You ask someone close by to give you a 3 digit number.  Add up the number and find it's corresponding letter in the alphabet.  This is the initial of the person thinking of you.

K always clinks glasses and wishes health when drinking water or wine but believes you must never wish anyone 'good health' with coffee.

And so on and so forth ....
Bet you've got dozens in your culture too

ftoo ftoo ftoo
I spit on you all 3 times and keep the evil eye away



30 comments:

  1. Well, with my hay fever there must be dozens of people thinking of me every day!
    I love all those superstitions. I wonder how they some of them started? Great fun anyway. Happy feather hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many more superstitions. I must make a note of the weirdest for another pist

      Delete
  2. ,-)))) Yes, quite interesting, that someone young, still believes in such. But then, it;s probably just "safer to pay attention," than to not. -smile-

    There is the old "knock on wood," about good happenings. And always say something, when someone sneezes. It's as if, to not do so, is impolite. -smile-

    🌲⛄🌲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taught my grandkids to say 'god bless' after a sneeze but the Greeks wish the sneezer 'good health'. You are right. It is most impolite not to say something

      Delete
  3. Well, I must admit to believing in superstitions, especially the one about a feather in your path..
    I'm thinking of my dear dad, who passed away thirty one years ago today, a feather would be lovely.
    I'd also add as wisps of words, "knock on wood", used almost daily :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep looking for your feather. It's amazing how they pop up when I need one!
      Knock on wood is a greek one too. In daily use here!!

      Delete
  4. My mother was very superstitious, we were not allowed to cut nails on certain days, no umbrellas must be put up in the house, if you had to return to the house immediately after going out, you had to sit down and count to ten before you were allowed to go out again, otherwise it was unlucky. It was unlucky for females to whistle, they were endless and very tedious! No real holly could be brought into the house, or someone would die.

    I do like the feather one, I touch wood and keep my fingers crossed every time I go out and about. Which reminds me, I do still say good morning to Mr Magpie, should I see one, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens, you had loads of rules to abide by. I've only heard of a few of those. We have loads of noisy magpies but haven't heard any superstitions about them.
      Take care

      Delete
  5. I was given a feather recently when visiting an ancient spiritual site. I am positive it was not on the path when I went down it (I was alone), but when I returned there it was. It felt very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes they do appear to appear almost magically! That guardian angel!!

      Delete
  6. Yes, I was brought up with loads. I have to admit that I still (secretly mostly) carry them on and I often look for what might have been a sign that something was going to happen that happened, if you follow. I was searching for a feather with my brother a couple of weekends ago too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sure you'd have loads of local superstitions/lore. They are ingrained from childhood and you a knowledge them without thinking. Some of them seem to be international.
      The umbrella one, touch wood for instance

      Delete
  7. Lol I think Elaine's mother and mine were 'sisters'. I grew up with superstions - the umbrella one I still adhere to:)
    Don't put shoes on the table - something to do with the death (being laid out on the table in Ireland) also don't stir with a knife - stirs up strife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The umbrella one seems to be worldwide but never heard about shoes on table (who would anyway unless they're brand-new), stirring with a knife or a few of Elaine's, females whistling for instance.
      So many

      Delete
  8. Tomorrow I'll start looking for feathers, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sort of gets compulsive. I find myself looking for feathers wherever I go!

      Delete
  9. Don't step on a grave! When you see
    a load of hay go past, make a wish!
    NEVER open an umbrella inside! I was
    told all these as a child and still
    abide by them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of those either, except the umbrella. Amazing. Don't step on gravel?
      I just remembered another one here too. You must always leave by the door you came in by. Could ruin a marriage proposal...typically greek I would say.
      Thanks for those new ones!

      Delete
  10. I always look for feathers. And I feel safe and looked after when I do find one
    Superstitions always have a real reason for them. The scissors one is pretty obvious for example
    I hope the doctors give you good news

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the feather one. Only came across it in recent years.
      Greece has so many superstitions and a lot of people, like my husband, really do carry them on.

      Delete
  11. It's funny how we've all got quirks and beliefs, I guess that's what makes us different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how many people, here at least, really believe in them.

      Delete
  12. And what is that opening and closing fists over rising bread dough all about? I believe it only happens in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaaa, that's their way of making the cross over the bread. I really don't see how it works. I'll have to get my s in law to give a demo. Opening and closing a fist really doesn't make the sign of the cross yet that's what they're doing.
      No use asking Vaso. She doesn't leave things like that up to God. She's certain her own knowledge and skill is enough

      Delete
  13. This is what Mum would say about females whistling - A whistling woman and a crowing hen are neither fit for God nor men. I'd no idea then of the meaning and still have no idea lol
    I have memories of being told not to step on grave (you'll disturb the dead). I'm always careful with that one if we're in an old graveyard/cemetery with or without headstones to make sure I keep to what look like paths and not step on ethere I think a body might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not wonder about whistling women. I was thinking it was something 'not done' back then, like women smoking in public.
      I definitely avoid stepping on a grave!! It would disturb me as well as the dead, though in our cemetery we almost do have to step on one to get to the other.
      Thanks Cathie

      Delete
  14. Unfortunately if I find a white feather in my path it's because my dogs have been in the hen coop again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not heard of half of those ones!

    ReplyDelete