Sunday 21 April 2019

Palm Sunday

Sunday 21st April
Palm Sunday in Greece

The second of the fish eating days during Lent.  We're allowed to eat fish today, and drink wine. 

I think it was at the church in the small Cretan village where we lived for a while that we were given fried fish after the church service.  Probably with a few glasses of wine as well.  Our fellow Cretan villagers followed the traditions strictly, back in the 80s, but they knew how to enjoy life.  We lived in the tiny  village of Mournies for only a year and will never forget the good times. There were two big tavernas and a pitta bread factory.  OMG thosed fresh pittes.  They didn't need cooking.  We lined up to get them hot as they came out of the ovens.

Palm Sunday.  Kyriaki Ton Vayion
Sunday of the Vayion
 as it is known here.  The churches and icons are decorated with this plant whose name in english I have yet to discover.  



This is the bunch of Vayion that my daughter was handed after church this morning





My space.
watching a knitting and crochet podcast


10 comments:

  1. "Sunday of the Vagia"

    Oh my gosh, all that needs is an "n"...

    My bad, I know. >,-))))

    But am I the only one, who sees "other" words, in similar words?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of that. In fact the pronunciation is completely different. I should have spelt it with a 'y' perhaps, or as it should be 'Vayion'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You changed the spelling, in your post! Now no one will know, what my comment, means. >,-)

      Delete
    2. Sorry about that. Seemed the obvious thing to do once you'd pointed it out.

      Delete
  3. Well, I certainly got some*interesting* results when I googled that plant name! Just hope I don't get arrested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have a look! I just tried Google translate.

      Delete
  4. Just enjoying the long weekend here now
    Next week. Sunday at my parents house

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a small, Holly-like, bush that grows wild here that people bring into their homes at Easter. It has red berries in the winter, but isn't spikey like Holly. I wonder if it's the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I had heard the word 'vayion' over the years I had never actually seen it till yesterday.
      I'll ask my sis in law. Your plant sounds as though it might be the same

      Delete