Sunday 8 July 2018

Balla - On The Ball

Football mania

I've had to watch and learn and sometimes even enjoy  football (soccer) during this World Cup.  It's join em or suffer.

I even know what a penalty is, still not sure about off-side although it has been explained to me a few times.  How the players don't end up in hospital after some of the somersaults they do on the field I can only attribute to male stoicism.  I know a lot of it is staged but some of those tumbles look painful.  As for the head shots  ... their brains must be rattling round in their skulls.  The foul play reminds me of Australian rules rugby.  The excitement of the match is in the tackling.    How Neymar manages to do any foot work or shoot a goal is a miracle.  If he hasn't got someones arm around his neck, there's a player tugging at his shirt, stamping his foot or just shoving him as hard as they can without the ref blowing his whistle.  So what's a yellow card anyway.  


Rugby tackle




Last night we walked down to the harbour to see Croatia play Russia on the big screen at our favourite cafeteria




The cafe owner is a good friend so he saved us a ringside table and provided a plate of fatty pork to go with the beer, and my coke light

The only player whose name I recognised was Luka Modric, captain of the Croatian team.  He plays for Real Madrid and I've seen him play against greek teams and he stood out in every game.  Some names just pop-out as you listen to the commentary, especially when it is in a foreign language.  Mesi's name was noticeably absent from most of his matches.  He seemed to be a sideliner.  


Luka Modric
Croatian Captain

Anyway, I was hoping for a Croatian win, not that it mattered at all. Everytime the Russians scored a goal there were cheers all along the waterfront.  We noticed a lot of Russian flags being waved as we walked downtown so the Russians must have been in town in full force.

Big disappointment for the Russians, playing on home turf.  It reminded me of 2004 when Greece won the European cup.  They played the final in Portugal against the Portuguese national team.  It was a surprise win for Greece and one of the Portuguese players lay down on the turf and cried when the final whistle blew.


Now I'm looking forward to the semi-finals and we've already booked our seat for the final. 

We're also looking forward to a change in weather.  There is a noticeable difference in the air.  Heavy rain and thunderstorms are forecast for tonight and tomorrow.  The air is cooler, there are clouds in the sky so we may just get a cooling shower.  The last few days have been incredibly muggy.

An unusual June and July , as it has been in a lot of places in the world.  We've had rain, hail, heatwaves.  Zeus has hurled a few thunderbolts.  We've had everything but snow.






14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are enjoying it, Linda. Here's hoping you get your fresher, cooler air, along with a decent and useful bit of rainfall. I hope that crackling was good and crispy!

    My niece used to go to school with the England goal keeper, she says he was always football-mad. A tenuous claim to fame, perhaps, but my grandson is as chuffed as if he knew him personally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickford has made some impressive saves in these matches. He looks like a nice guy too.

      Delete
  2. Neymar does a lot of play acting and rolling around for attention to see what he can get, I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. He would roll over and look at the ref if a feather touched him. It is a miracle how he ever stands the pain of tattooing. It is the World Cup, Linda please, not a World Series. Whatever next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooops. I should know better! Must change that quickly . Thanks Rachel.
      I did Google Neymar and saw he wasn't the most popular player.

      Delete
  3. I don't understand the World Cup. Any more than others, understand our Baseball races, and our Football and etc. :-)

    And why need we? It's cool, to have *local* interests.

    Just have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only world cup I've watched up until this time s the rugby world cup because the NZ all blacks win it now and again. I prefer tennis but greek TV isn't showing Wimbledon and didn't show the French open.
      Everyone here loves soccer and I've just been drawn up into it. Not too bad when you learn some of the rules.
      The Tour De France has just started so I'll probably see a bit of cycle racing as well.
      Sport s preferable to our dismal economics and international news

      Delete
  4. I've never played football; I was a Rugby player. When I was teaching I had to take charge of certain football games, and my first words were always "We'll play without the offside rule today". I had no idea what it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Offside is very strange as are some of the refs decisions. I suppose he can't see everything

      Delete
  5. oh yes we've had soccer mania here in NZ too. We are waiting for the rugby tri-nations to begin here soon - looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rugby will always come first but we see very little here on Greek TV though a lot of the European countries play

      Delete
  6. I think its probably the best World Cup in years. Plus its available free on terrestrial television for most people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very hot here too Linda.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot and sticky over most of Europe I see! Poor Britain and Ireland!

      Delete