Friday 19 January 2018

Out Like Snails

Yesterday the gale force winds almost picked me up and tossed me across the channel when I went down to the harbour.  They were gale force 8 on the beaufort scale.  All shipping was tied up in port for at least 24 hours.  Today the winds died down and the sun came out.  We all appeared like snails on a rainy day.  Time for coffee on the waterfront.  I haven't been out for coffee yet this year, so I took my camera to record the event.



We all sat out in the sun at the T Cafe


First coffee and then a 'koupa' of wine for K and a no-cal coke for me with a meze of olives, cheese and tomato with a slice of salami.  I'm staying away from alcohol as much as I can.  A red wine now and again, for my health.



The little petrol tanker was out filling up the taxi boats


Our favourite and friendliest taxi boat.  Captain Kyriakos at the helm of the 'Socrates'



A long line of taxi boats on Poros this morning.  One leaves every 20 minutes for the 5 minute journey across the strait to mainland Galatas.  Cost 1 euro


Looking across to the hills opposite and the smoke from the fire of an olive grower burning the small branches from the pruning done as olives are harvested.  The larger branches are cut up and sold for firewood



Look at the sky and the sea.  Both were a clear dark blue today.  So different from yesterdays dark rain clouds



Next to the T Cafe is a cafeteria which calls itself  a bistrot.
This is the second one on Poros which uses the word 'bistrot'.  
I presumed this was a spelling mistake but when I googled the word I see 'bistro' and 'bistrot' are both mentioned.
However, this cafeteria is hardly a bistro and neither is the other.

bistro -  a small restaurant selling moderate priced meals in a modest setting.

This so-called 'bistro' is a hip cafeteria with loud music, cocktails and beer in the evening, serving coffees and ouzo with a toasted sandwich or two during the day

But who here knows the difference.  It sounds chic.

20 comments:

  1. Does sound lovely in the sun at a cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photographs look great. Mandy has given up so much for me. It makes me feel guilty when I think about it. I would have done the same for her if I could. Life sounds really good out there. Here it’s just a concrete jungle. Thanks for the updates though. It shows me what life should be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have what you need at this moment, Mandy at your side. As you say, you would have done the same for her. That's what marriage and commitment are all about. Wish I could send a little sunshine. It does make a difference after rain and chilly days. Still got very chilly nights though

      Delete
  3. The sunshine is lovely
    Yes less alcohol is better for us. But your in Greece. Where eating and drinking isn’t just something you do. It’s life!
    Enjoy the day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised I'm doing so well. Not drinking any wine at all except for a glass on Sunday. As long as I have something else to drink I'm ok. Coffee, coke zero, water with a squeeze of lemon juice, soda with lemon. So far so good

      Delete
  4. 'Bistro' comes from the Russian word meaning 'quickly'. The Russian troops having invaded Paris were all hungry, and entered restaurants shouting 'bistro bistro'; they had to eat in a hurry. The name stuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that's how the bistro started. The word now is so typically french. I doubt there's anything fast about a french bistro now! Odd that these cafeterias should think to call themselves a bistro or even a wine bar but no-one but me probably even reads their sign. Well except for a firend of mine who wanted to go in and bash them over the heads for calling it a bistro-t

      Delete
  5. Good to hear the winds died down. TV news is full of horror stories about the gales in UK and Europe. Still hot here!

    I would love to live near the water - it's only just over an hour away yet we tend to go the other way inland into the Yarra Valley ( wine country lol)


    Cathy @ Still Waters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UK and Europe got the centre of the storm. Loads of damage and a few fatalities. It was more the ferries to the islands that were affected here.
      I've been to Margaret River and tested their wines. What fantastic, wonderfully groomed and superbly presented vineyards those were!
      My brother and his family live in Perth

      Delete
  6. The dark blue skies and sea is so inviting.
    I have never been to Greece so I imagine your beautiful island to be similar to Sardenia which I love.
    Skip the sugar-free coke and drink the wine instead ;)
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Island life is probably very similar to Sardinia. The locals make and drink litres of wine, white red and rose!!
      I suppose I should just drink a glass of red wine. ONE glass!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. The day before was grey and overcast and yet this day there was not a cloud in the sky. Winter in on our island is really very mild even though I complain about the cold. After a few wet days the sunshine always reappears

      Delete
  8. So nice when the sun comes out during winter, I've noticed people seem alot happier and less grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes and yes. Being couped up inside is not good for anyone, especially a gregerious greek

      Delete
  9. When I look at your photographs and get those glimpses of blue sky and sunlight dancing on a blue sea I feel like renewing my passport.
    Well done on the alcohol front it isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter here seems long and cold, which I like actually, once our wood burner is lit! But, it is January and February and even then the grey days are followed by sunshine.
      Dont come in January and February when it is too cold and dont come in July and August when it is too hot and it is almost paradise.
      Almost.

      Delete
  10. We also had here strong winds that we had never have before, now it is quiet and sunny day. I like so much those photos of your beautiful island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get out with my camera. There are a lot more photos I should take.

      Delete