Friday 26 January 2018

Fish the family dish

Fish soup for lunch.   
Fresh fish bought right off the fishing kaïki early this morning



A variety of different kinds of local fish.  All with the heads on and staring eyeballs


One of them was full of eggs.  Fish roe is a delicacy boiled, fried or salted and pickled too


Tonight there will be fresh mussels to share with friends.  The mussels come from opposite the island of Salamina near Athens.  A friend returning from Athens took a by-pass for us and bought 3 kilos of mussels.  When we lived on Salamina we used to dive for mussels even though the waters off the big Naval base weren't the cleanest.  These ones are from a mussel farm.


Steamed mussels with ouzo and garlic


Add some hot sauce if you dare.  It is called 'Bring on the Pain' and for a good reason.  One drop in a plate of soup does more than warm the mouth.  Son-in-law put a teaspoon on the side of his plate and regretted it for the rest of the evening


Moray eel.  Next on our eating list.  Makes excellent soup and delicious fried.  Also it can be dried in the sun and salted

12 comments:

  1. Such wonderful fresh seafood, you seem to eat the best meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do tend to eat fresh and local. Lots of choices here!

      Delete
  2. I'll pass on the eel, but I could just do with some mussels or roe. Enjoy your fish feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The eel is a bit slimy but nice crispy fried

      Delete
  3. I've tasted marinated eel...yuk! But grilled is ok; I prefer mussels.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like shellfish in small doses. I don't like them raw with just leomn juice. The eel is great if it is fried till really crispy.

      Delete
  4. Give me the hot sauce any time. We brought a bottle of hot Piri Piri sauce from our week in the sun last week. You get the sun all year round don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do get sun a lot in the winter but at the moment temps are around 9oC. Going up in the next few days. Your winter weather in the Algarve was glorious!

      Delete
  5. Re your beautiful bread of previous post-I also bake bread and for the first time I tried baking a loaf in an oval Pyrex dish with lid: using the lid as base and the dish as the top. I want to thank you Linda for the wonderful idea; my bread turned out lovely. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it turned out well! I made some more today and it so much better with the lid on for the first 20 minutes. Not so dry and heavy.
      It is definitely the best way to cook bread

      Delete
  6. I’m afraid I’m too spoilt to try eel. It just looks too much like a snake to me. Yuck
    I’m sure if I was very hungry I’d eat it. And it’s probably very nice too. My dad loves it!
    But I just cannot bring myself to eat it.
    Maybe it’s somethin to do with being an Aussie. I’ve seen too many snakes in real life and they give me the heebie jeebies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K friends are always giving us these fish. I presume they get caught in nets. His friends don't like them either so we get them. As long as they are cleaned and cut up I'm fine

      Delete