Sunday 4 June 2023

Highlight this Week

 An English birthday party. With real English, maybe British is more correct, men, and women, a couple of Scandanavians, a South African born and a kiwi born.


We meet at Babis Taverna, Galatas, across the waters, right by the car ferry. 
So handy when going across to the mainland. The taverna is right in front of you when you reach the other side of the strait. On the return journey the ferry is only a few steps away and it's a case of roll on-roll off. 

This winter the taverna has been painted, cleaned and the loos have finally been refitted, refurbished, redecorated. 
There are 2 loos now. One for men and one for women.  That's a huge 'hurrah'. They're nicely tiled, the doors lock and the light comes on automatically. Just one word of caution. If you spend too long in there the light turns itself off. Be quick about your 'business' otherwise you'll be pulling things up and groping about in the dark.





Here we all are, at the end of the meal

Babis has a traditional Greek menu and you chose from a showcase of baking trays. 
Stuffed tomatoes and peppers, aubergines stuffed with feta and onions, moussaka, roast pork and chicken with lemon potatoes. 






Here we are trying to decide what to eat. 
I'm still on my carnivore kick so my choice was easy, a big beef patty stuffed with cheese, bifteki in Greek. 
We had plates of tzatziki on the table, Greek salad and toasted bread with olive oil and oregano. 
Wine, water or a cold Alpha beer.

I brought a box of chocolate cakes and someone brought a heavenly cream and caramel cake with a candle. The taverna doesn't mind storing it in their fridge till its 'afters' time and they provide plates and spoons.
There were rumbles of 'where's the pudding? Rhubarb crumble and custard'? 
Not here
We sang Happy Birthday. It wasn't my birthday thank goodness. 
It was my English friends birthday and it has become somewhat of a tradition for us to gather at this taverna. 
Most of us have lived on the island for years but we stay  in our own circles and hardly see each other except for a brief chat in the grocers shop or a wave as we pass on the road. 
It's so nice to catch up on all the news, in a language that flows easily and is understood by all at the table. 
It ends up at around 15 euros a head. A very reasonable price. 
Of course we all say we've got to meet again soon. Some do but I don't. I'm usually tied up with family and our Greek friends. 
Never mind. We will do it again next year. 

14 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely way to celebrate ... and only €15!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to have English people around me. We all understand each other perfectly. And I enjoy the English humour and a different look at Greek life

      Delete
  2. What a lovely annual tradition, it looks like you all had a great time. I know what you mean about having English people around, I no longer have any here and miss that contact and being able to speak my own language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know exactly how it feels! It's what you grew up with, your roots and it's such a comfortable familiarity!

      Delete
  3. I went to a birthday party on Saturday where everyone was from S Africa, except for us and one other couple from Barbados. The S African contingent didn't stop filming, taking selfies, and photographing everything in sight. It was very strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your S Africans must all be social media buffs. I often take a lot of photos but delete most, but not enough to make my actions too obvious. Selfies never !

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a lovely time.
    As the years pass it is harder and harder to motivate yourself to go out and meet up with friends. Staying close to home is preferable. I love being on holiday but I’m starting to get a little homesick now. I won’t be too upset when it’s all over and I start my journey home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it, I'd rather stay at home or have a quick coffee when I've got shopping to do. This is one occasion I enjoy, once a year. The foreigners do have quiz and music evenings to raise money for dogs. Not my sort of thing

      Delete
  5. 15 Euros does sound very reasonable Linda. It's good to enjoy company after those awful covid times when we all lost two years of our social lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 euros a head used to be an average price at a taverna but lately it has gone up to 20. Around here anyway

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a fun event. i'd definitely do what you did and try the beef patty, can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We kinda get it. F had no native English speaker friends while were were there and the closest was a German girl (with Greek husband and kids). Sometimes it is nice to be able to understand the general chat in the room instead of focussing hard on the neaarest speaker. (Although we guess you are well past that stage.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! Even after so many years when there's a table of Greek speakers I sort of zone out. I don't get a headache anymore from having to concentrate on the nearest speaker though!

      Delete