Wednesday 8 March 2023

Some Days in Winter


The weather is fine today.  The sun is shining.
Last night it rained.
The plants are loving it.  Temperatures are around 20o instead of 10o.  The hydrangeas have budded and so has the grapevine.  The rocket (arugula) has finally started to grow. 


On my way down town I saw two spots of colour on the roadside. Red.  Not wild poppies yet but anemones.  Spring really is on it's way.

Yesterday I went across on the car ferry to the small village of Galatas to get my hair cut.  Getting a hair cut in the winter is difficult.  This salon is run by a cousin.  The wife of a cousin.
She's good.  My hair is now all one colour instead of me having a blonde fringe and various shades of gold and yellow through the rest of it.  I have reached the stage where I need a professional to cover the grey.  And I got a longer cut.  Something different to to go with my thin-ner self and my new love for leggings. 
Hair cut 10 euros
colour 30 euros.
I thought that was very reasonable.  They're the same prices as three years ago 

One day I will post a picture.
I'm very happy with the style.  I am comfortable.

Coming back along Galatas waterfront there was a freezing wind.
It always blows along there.  The sun might have been shining but I was very glad I wore my heavy winter coat.  Spring is just beginning.
I lay in bed this morning at 6am listening to the birds chirping 'good morning'.  I can sleep with the window open, shutters closed.  I went to sleep to the sound of rain on the tiles and woke to birdsong.  
Happy me.

Soon afterwards we got a call from the hospital.  My next cataract operation will be at the end of March.  I'm even happier.  Being able to see properly out of only one eye was starting to annoy me.  It will be 2 months since I got the first eye done.  That's fast for a public hospital.  See what some money in a small white envelope will do!
We are getting the next envelope ready and a box of sweet cakes for his nurses.  I hope they get some of the money in that unmarked envelope too but somehow I doubt if he shares it around.  

The Saharan dust clouds last week really irritated my eyes and I had to go to the chemist and ask for some eye drops.  My eyes were red and sore for days but are now ok.  I wouldn't want to postpone the op because of an eye infection.  The dust cloud lasted days.  I still haven't scrubbed it off the car.

The other thing I don't want is covid.  Our neighbour has it and also his sister, on a visit from Athens.  Vaso, 85 or 86, who lives in the same house is ok at the moment though whether that will last is doubtful.  I hope they can keep her isolated because I don't think she has been vaccinated.  For most of us it's just a mild dose of the flu but often that's not the case for the elderly.  
I have to have a negative test to enter the hospital so I will be isolating too.
 




There was a silent parade along Poros waterfront, 
protesting the antiquated rail system and remembering the 57 victims of Greece's tragic train crash last week.  Many of the victims were young students returning to university after the long weekend.
Schools closed here today and most of the pupils participated.

 That sign in Greek says -
'Phone me when you arrive.'

The words of any mother seeing her children off on  a journey.    They never did phone












29 comments:

  1. I had read about that tragic train crash but didn't know that so many of the victims were students. I can't imagine how it must be for all of the victims' families.
    Your haircut is a very reasonable price indeed. My six weekly cut and blow-dry is £36. Thank goodness I don't bother with colour. I dread to think how much that would cost.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that nothing gets in the way of your second cataract op. I had mine done 6 years ago and it was worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm being very careful till the end of the month. Hell, nowadays you never know what will happen. I'm keeping well from anyone who clears their throat!

      Delete
  2. That banner is so poignant and sad. I'm glad Spring arrived in Poros.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got to have your hair done and are so happy with it. I love the birdsong in spring, such a cheerful sound. Stay safe and take care, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to the birds chirping again this morning. They really are early birds lol

      Delete
  4. So so very sad. I hope you manage to stay well until it is time for your operation. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking care of myself believe me. I want these cataracts gone

      Delete
  5. Those words break your heart. I’ve been seeing these protests on Facebook and they always bring a tear to my eyes.
    I’m glad your happy with your hair cut. I’m always disappointed. Kinda why I just don’t them them that often. Once a year to cut off the dead ends. I’m even growing out the fringe
    The weather has turned cool here. Autumn has arrive I think. But being Melbourne tomorrow we could have thirty degrees again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually disappointed too but this girl is good, takes a lot of time getting it right. I hope I can style it a little after washing!

      Delete
  6. That is so sad. Governments should be held responsible for not maintaining infrastructure. I am trying to grow my covid cut out. I haven't been near a pair of scissors since June last year. I feel like an old English sheepdog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You held out a log tim 🖤 ndee! My last cut was November. I hate going to the hairdresser but just couldn't stand it all hanging in my eyes. Thank goodness it was well worth it, especially the colour. I really stick out as a foreigner now, v blonde.

      Delete
  7. We have almost forgotten Covid, but it's still out there causing havoc. I hope Vaso stays unaffected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one takes much notice of it here, but the hospital does so I have to be careful.
      Vaso was still ok this morning.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for all your news. My cut and blow dry is still £22. Yours are even cheaper. Lots of Covid here too where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised and happy with the prices. Well worth it. Feels and looks good.

      Delete
  9. My haircut costs about 6 pounds which is nice and cheap. Just as well as I keep it pretty short and have to go every 6 weeks or so. I´ve just had my fifth Covid vaccination so hopefully I´m covered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be back again soon for another cut. I've decided I prefer it short. I can't style this cut

      Delete
  10. Congratulations and well done on the 'thinner' you. We must have been at Olympia about this time last year as F can recall the anemones flowering in shades of red, purple and lavender in the ruins there. The colours seemed to segregate themselves. You didn't see red ones in the purple areas (and vice versa).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wild flowers are just starting to bloom. All those colours are beautiful.
      Must look for those groups of colour

      Delete
  11. Those flowers a beautiful! We are still snow-covered here but next week will be in the 60's so that should start melting. We did not even hear about the train accident here. What a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow covered... Brrr. I'm glad it's getting a little warmer. Hold tight, summer is coming

      Delete
  12. Oh, that sign is so sad! I still say the same to my children at age 44 and 50! To know that those parents will never get the gift of middle age children makes me weep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoning home when you arrive is so important. I think we are all waiting to hear those voices and know they're safe

      Delete
  13. The anemones are beautiful, very sad to read about the train crash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The anenomes are the first flowers and they really stand out

      Delete
  14. Sad signs..I know the pain if waiting for offspring to phone, but at least mine always have.
    Good to see Spring on its way. Where we are at present Autumn is setting in and harvesting done..albeit with a pause today for much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spring and autumn are my favourite seasons. It's wonderful to see those buds and flowers appearing here

    ReplyDelete