Thursday 20 October 2022

Poros

 Poros -

Perhaps it's the island...

Time seems to freeze here..

It's the island of Calypso**...

One has to make the decision

to leave Poros for Ithaca* at some point.

The concrete Ithaca***.

The sea smoothly moves

like silk in grey,

blue, purple and pink colours...

I'm leaving Poros

Without knowing if I will ever find

the great serenity I felt 

In the mornings here lately 

- Greek poet Georgios Seferis


* Ithaca is another greek island in the Ionian sea (towards Italy).  It was the home Odysseus, hero of the trojan war, returned to eventually after a 10 year sea voyage of perils and entrapment.

Ithaca also stands for a place of haven.  

**Calypso. The nymph who imprisoned  Odysseus for 7 years, keeping him from returning home to Ithaca and his wife Penelope 

***The concrete Ithaca. The city, Athens.





The red and white morning hydrofoil leaves for Athens, taking away the first group of visitors



Sunset over the harbour


And looking over the town



One of my daughter's neighbours is an artist and a sculptor
He has an exhibition outside his front door




Steep steps and narrow alleyways


You can't get lost
Just walk downhill and there will be the sea and the harbour

15 comments:

  1. The buildings remind me of the older houses in the Algarve. Love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The news about the floods on the lovely island of Crete, made me very sad. It makes one think about islands and the climate change, and the thoughts are rather disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flooding down there was horrific. Such destruction in just a few minutes.

      Delete
  3. Love the poem and the alluding to the sea as being like silk. It sounds so enchanting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be enchanting, away from motorbikes and noisy greeks

      Delete
  4. Oh how I long to be by the seaside. I’m only five minutes away by car but to be able to sit and admire it from my home would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hardly went to the beach at all this summer but we did sit at cafés by the sea 😁😁

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to live in such a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than a big smelly city I suppose but sometimes I miss that

      Delete
  6. It looks like there's alot going on there, I think I'd be happy living next door to an artist too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never seen his work before. It was good but I wonder whether he sells any. His display is on a very back street

      Delete