Friday 8 July 2022

Getting it Off My Chest





First our dear neighbour Turkey or Türkiye as it now calls itself. The difference? None. 

I listen to the news and recognise their leader's voice. Time to change channels.   

Greek news says that he's  unpopular in his own country, (Türkiye), and their economy is going to crash. But their news tells another story.
 Their news, so we are told, paints Greece as the aggressor, the grabber of Türkiyesh homeland. They demand all the islands near their coast, and there are quite a few of those, some within spitting distance.  
Their economic crisis, the leader says, is the fault of foreign powers.  Blah blah blah

Why do I even bother writing all this. I usually don't . 

 Blogger Rachel is so spot on when she says her day is far more enjoyable without listening to news broadcasts.

Last year there was a string of wife killings which filled our news bulletins for weeks on end. Now it's sons killing their mothers. And wives are still being dispatched as well. 

Meantime I watched a programme on the island of Crete. A French woman presents it. How bloody one sided she is. She met shepherds and milked a sheep, boring, yawn. She visited the mountain village of Anoyia and K and I laughed out loud. She presented it as the music capital of Greece, full of friendly, happy peasants. It certainly is the birthplace of some great Cretan musicians but it's notoriety, not fame, is for being the centre of family feuds, shoot-outs and vendettas. Oh and don't forget the police blockades and drug running. It's certainly a village well known all over Greece.

Her cameraMan 'shot' all the men out in the main square in the evening playing music and drinking. One big happy family she said. Belly laugh.

And not once in the whole bloody programme did she ask where the darn women were or why in that square at night with the men eating and drinking she was the only woman present.

Makes me wonder about all the other island programmes I've seen her present. When you don't know you just believe her balderdash, don't question. 

She's off my list!

I'll stick to Hercule Poirot. He's on every evening for 2 hours of happy viewing. I've seen all the episodes, some three or four times. The Greeks must like old Agatha because the show has been going on for a couple of months. I like the englishness of it. K doesn't watch but it's at a time he's busy with other things and I'm left alone.

Gotta be thankful for that

There's more I could write but I've just had a big Mediterranean lunch and it's siesta time.





18 comments:

  1. I agree with Rachel ~ the news makes me anxious and sad. #1: you don't even know if the "news" they are broadcasting is the big picture or the spin the station wants on it. #2: Other than voting, participating, there is little I can do for the country...but my own little village, that I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's dead right. You don't know who's propaganda we are being dished up. Out of sight means peace of mind.
    Our local news comes from local gossip. Now there are so many 'spins' it's funny, though you'd never dare to laugh at the 'spinner'

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shot from the hip with that post LA. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Dave. The trouble is with blogging that you can't say it all as you want or it would end up as long as a book. Got some of it out though

      Delete
  4. We have people who are trying to tell me how bad Johnson was. He didn't make people disappear and put journalists and academics in prison, nor does he trawl around the Med being aggressive around neighbours , nor is he being the opportunist with a war going on in Ukraine or threathening the EU, all of which Erdogan is doing. I enjoyed the post Linda. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting it that way, old Boris is an angel. Erdogan is determined to hold onto power and he's got elections coming up. He has to get his voters' minds away from poverty and join him in warding off the great enemy of the Türkiyesh people. Those nasty aggressive Greeks need to be put in their place and he is the mighty ruler who can save them

      Delete
  5. I left a comment Linda; I believe it may have jumped into Spam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh politics, actually it's good that you posted about this, I've been missing the news at night because it's always doom and gloom never anything positive. It just brings me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still watch some news and get caught up in that doom and gloom. We have so many channesl and there always seems to be news somewhere or breaking headlines going across the top of the screen, even when I'm watching Hercule

      Delete
  7. Nothing is ever said about turkey and their shinanigans on our news but I read papers online. They just let a shop full of grain to pass through to Russia. Obviously they think the Russians will let them have the islands
    Time they were called out by the eu and nato
    Either they are with the west or they go to their mates and see how far they get
    Off the soap box now. Enjoy your siesta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice that Turkey had let the ship through. I thought they might hand it over ... sometime, somewhere. Damn them. They are playing all sides

      Delete
  8. Very sad to hear, why can't the people in power just do their job and do the best they can for the population instead if stirring up hate and resentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkish and greek citizens travel regularly from those islands that are close to the turkish mainland for shopping and holidays. The people themselves don't seem to have any animosity. Why can't the bloody politicians act the same way. It's power and money

      Delete
  9. So true. Some of these programmes are a joke. There has been an ongoing UK TV programme about a Yorkshire shepherdess and her numerous happy children. All was presented as being perfect and happy, but we now hear that she is divorced. It always seemed to me like a horrendous way to live, but some saw it as idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the sheperdess programme but I had seen her with Ben Fogle. In front of the cameras any picture they want can be presented. It's all just damn fiction!

      Delete
  10. From outside the area very few in the world are aware of the depth of the simmering animosity and distrust between Turkey and Greece. Lots of big/small countries that are neighbours have banter about their neighbours (you and I could think of an example - a kind of international scale sibling rivalry) but here there it is genuine aggreession and fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friendly banter is fine, in fact a national pastime but this rhetoric is straight out aggression. I know it always gets worse before Turkish elections as he tries to gather support but it's not only words. So many times there have been incidents on the sea and in the air. A major incident may happen at any time to tip the balance from rhetoric to action. I hate hearing his voice on the news. Thank goodness most times his speeches are not voiced-over but simply translated underneath so I can't understand. But there are so many programmes anaylising the situation. It's hard to avoid.

      Delete