Tuesday 3 September 2024

Photo Show

 I don't have the energy to sit down and write a blog about how wonderful life is here and how lucky we all are to live on this island, every day a holiday.

The weekend crowds have returned and it's busy.  We now go down for coffee at 7.30 in the morning.  It's cooler.  We drink our regular coffee, get the bread, do some essential shopping and go home.  

K complains because I eat meat every day and he doesn't want meat.  Of course I offer to cook him something else but he says I don't cook with love when I don't eat it myself.

We have the end of summer blues.  Beside this, the house is upside down and filled with bags of everything including the kitchen sink.  We are going to our Navy resort at the end of the week.  The rooms have 2 beds and little else.  We bring everything else.  It's very cheap.  I am not complaining.  We are very lucky to be able to have a holiday.

  There are bags of pillows, bags of kitchen items that we could do without but would miss like a knife, fork and a coffee shaker to make ice coffee.  Why do we need a shaker when ice coffee is 2 minutes away at the cafeteria for 90 cents.  Who knows?  We might need it, along with a tin of nescafe a jar of sugar, a teaspoon and an ice cube tray.  You can see how 'stuff' adds up.

The wild goat herd is back eating the scrub in the paddock next door.  Great horned beasts.  I don't mind them, except for the rank smell, but our car is parked under an olive tree there.  How easy it would be for those great horny hooves to clamber up on to the top of the car to reach more of the olive tree branches.  I have to go out and yell at them and throw stones.  Always some drama.

Life here is much more expensive.  We are really beginning to notice it.  Shopping is kept to essentials.  Mainly.  Chicken wings are cheap so I get to eat my meat.  K has chick peas for 2 days.  I must have cooked them with love because he's eating them and they don't upset his stomach either.  Another problem.  He solves this one with glasses of raki.  The best stomach medecine he says.

We had some rain.  Not much but enough to dampen the earth and see the leaves on the citrus trees perk up.

Here are a few photos to lighten the mood.  I shouldn't complain about anything really.  We live on a Greek island where the sun shines every day and our world is happy and friendly and peaceful.




A kiwi tattoo.  Both my daughters have one on their ankle



The bougainvillia growing across the road up in our old neighbourhood.  It loved the hot summer


Cooked food?  They have to advertise it?  Elsewhere the food is raw I presume.  A wee sign which made me smile




 Poros town from across the strait



14 comments:

  1. It's just ordinary day to day life. For me here and for you there. I went out for a paper later in the afternoon and stopped for a coffee and watched the people. Schools are back. Life starts to return to normal for the rest of us. Everything carries on, we try to vary the menus but at the end of the day we fall back on the food we like, we watch tv, we read, we go to bed. Enjoy your change for a few days where you take everything with you that you "might" need. You never know, you might just manage without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A normal day for us both. Everything does carry on, those menus, reading sleeping. That's what I shall be doing for the next days, though someome else will be providing and cleaning up. How nice.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your holiday (once you get unpacked there). I love the cooked food sign. By the way what are lobster souls? I can't remember the Greek word but when I tried to translate it that is what came out. (We had seen a dual language menu that had lobster souls on the english side so they had been using the same translation app).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lobster souls? That one has got me scratching my head. It will come and I'll let you know. Those translations in days of old and weird spelling were so enjoyable. It was always lamps instead of lambs. I wish I had recorded them.

      Delete
  3. I can imagine how stinky the goats are. We had a billy goat and he stank to high heaven.
    I always over pack when going away but if you forget something that’s what you will definitely need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a subsidised supermarket there and a 15 minutes away a small town with one of those cheap chinese shops but I always think 'well. we've got it here so I'll take it. Better safe than sorry and out of pocket.'

      Delete
  4. Many years ago, a neighbour was leaving her 'large' home, and offered me her Goat. I was quite excited by the idea, and said "Yes Please". When I returned to my car I found the wretched thing on the roof, and instantly changed it to a "No Thank You".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goats are great if you are prepared for a bit of work and they definitely need being fenced in. Although these big ones just charge their way through fences and over walls. You saved yourself a lot of trouble

      Delete
  5. A holiday sounds wonderful. Enjoy your time away :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your holiday and I'm also so glad that you love where you live. I would love to visit one day. Your daughter's tattoos are lovely - I'm not a grea fan of tattoos except when they have some meaning (which they do).

    ReplyDelete