Sunday 22 September 2024

Beach Babes

 Do I like sandy beaches? Yes and no. The resort has fine sand which sticks to everything. I sweep it off our floor and brush it off our sheets every morning. 

On the other hand, sand makes my entry and exit from the sea confident, without embarrassing incident. 

Stony beaches are a pain in  the you-know-where. They hurt my feet and send me toppling into the shallows or backwards onto the beach. Or I just wobble, or waddle, not very gracefully, into the sea. 



Sand.
Shallow water that's easy to wade into.

K says it's warm. I say it's cold. It's true, you do feel the cold more as you grow older.
I cool off, swim a bit, paddle a bit, avoid the piranhas and head for shore.
Then I head for the showers on the beach. They're just behind our shelter/kiosk.
I don't like sitting with salt on me and I don't like my towel getting stiff with salt.
I sit in the sun for a while and warm up, retreat to the shade and read, get in the water to cool off. And so it goes on.
It could be boring but a good book and a little wifi saves the day.

Then there's the passing parade.
A rich parade. Thank goodness men in speedos are far and few between but do strut their stuff now and again. What do the Australians call them? 
Budgie smugglers.
It's the older men that wear them with a overhanging gut that are the worst. Don't they ever look in the mirror.


Here in Greece, all over the Med, women wear what they feel comfortable in, whatever their size or age.
Big women in small containers, oldies in bikinis. No one even gives them a second glance.
They stroll up and down, usually in pairs, gossiping as they go, confident that they're gorgeous. 


 I'm a 2 piece person. The bottoms are Bermuda swim shorts. 
The top covers my midriff.
I stroll to the sea and then for a shower. Enough strutting for me. I prefer to watch the sights  rather than provide the show.





Ps We are back home now doing loads of washing in between showers. 
Suddenly it's autumn

20 comments:

  1. I loved your comments about beach wear - such memories from the beach in front of our apartment. I wear one piece with knee length legs and was regularly asked if I felt the cold🤣. Some women came with 3 or 4 bikinis and would change after every dip in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knee length keeps it all in place. Nothing peeking out 😂. Those bikini changers are real divas . They even do it at our local beach, doing gymnastics underneath a towel. Don't know how they manage it.

      Delete
  2. I don't possess swimwear of any description. As I don't swim and have to cover up to protect against any further melanomas, swimwear is wasted on me. Just the big plastic binbag for head to toe coverage for me 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burkas for swimming are becoming a common sight too.
      I'd sit in a cafe besides the sea if I could and read and watch the parade from there .....if I could. I'm not allowed 😔

      Delete
  3. You can't beat sandals any time on the beach or even in the house. They're my slippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear sandals to the waters edge but hate wearing those plastic sandals in the sea

      Delete
  4. Like you, I prefer to watch the show more than provide it!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are plenty of players without me adding to them!!

      Delete
  5. I am envious of being at ease in the sea. I have never been at ease in water when I might be out of my depth so I keep away from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all learned to swim at primary school. Even the tiniest schools had a pool and it was the gym lesson in summer. Don't think they do that anymore though

      Delete
  6. The beach, water and sky look beautiful. In my 20's it was the itsy bitsy bikini but now in my 70's
    it would have to be a tent!! It's been many years since I was on a beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live the beach and the sea. Though I preferred the Lakes. They were colder, but no salt! The older I get the less the sea attracts

      Delete
  7. I've certainly noticed that women in Europe generally wear two piece swimsuits not matter what their size. It certainly makes me a little more comfortable knowing that no one is looking at me in my one piece. We have summer on the way - I love it but hate the insects and intense heat (and how everything in the garden grows too fast and needs trimming all the time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insects and intense heat....yeh they've both been terrible this summer. It was mosquitoes, wasps and ants. Now the flies have arrived too. At least it's cooler

      Delete
  8. You need a pair of thongs, flip flops. You could even wear them in the water if the stones hurt your Rubber ones are great for that. I’m like you. I don’t flaunt what I have. As I do have a lot of it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubber flip flops are what I normally wear but they're dangerous on marble. If the marble balcony, steps, path is wet they slip and slide. However next summer I'm going to buy a pair for sure

      Delete
  9. I’m just back from ‘the beach’ and missing it so much. It’s cold wet and windy here…..if your summer has gone why isn’t it making its way down here?
    And yes like lots of us I’ve left the itsy bitsy bikini days behind and now have a two piece of slightly larger proportions. Knicker type bottoms, ‘blouson’ style top with straps I can slip down and tan with no strap marks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That searing heat has gone somewhere. Thank goodness it's not here anymore. You're welcome! Enjoy your summer

      Delete
  10. My main priority when leaving the pool is that it is warm and sunny. When I'm actually in the water I don't mind what the weather is like, or even how cold the water is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes me ages to dunk under the water. I have to say 1,2,3 and take the plunge. Once I'm under, head above water thank you, it's not so bad but I get cold faster than I once did.
      Sunshine is essential once you get out

      Delete