Tuesday 10 September 2024

Free Day - a Ramble

 We had an outing today away from the Navy. Up early, picked up our ID cards from check-point Charlie so we can show them on our return.

And off to the nearest big town. K has been checking out all the offers on satellite tv sport for the winter.

We stopped our satellite tv months ago. But winter is long and football games many.

At 9.50am the tv/phone shop was still not open and there were 7 people waiting outside. K was not put off and made sure no one jumped the queue. He got all the details and renewed his phone package. Everyone else waiting behind him tapped their feet and watched the clock as he asked every question under the sun. No detail is too small for him to investigate in depth. I shuffle, sorry for those waiting.


From there to coffee in a shady courtyard. Good Freddo espresso and fast internet . 

I need a cheat paper now when I request my coffee.

Freddo espresso decaf with medium saccharine . A mouthful in my broken Greek.  It's not saccharine but that's the word they use for all the sugar replacements.

Next door is the Chinese shop. I want some colourful earings and a good look around. The earings looked tatty but I bought a pair of light weight long-shorts to wear at the beach.

Then there's the electrical service place for the car. A strange light lit up on the dashboard and then disappeared on our way here. K goes into great detail again. Apparently something overheated a little. No problems there. We will have a couple of coffee/comfort stops on the way home.

Chemist for painkillers for K who has tendons or ligaments in one shoulder that should have been repaired years ago.  He gets a bit of pain when he overdoes the swimming or lifts a heavy object like the full wine carafe last night . 

And our way home Lidl for cheaper coke zero and some breakfast items.

Check Point Charlie again to give up our ID cards. The guard asked us a strange question. 

Were we coming from booking.com?

This place is on the booking site?

There was a large group of Ukrainians. We presumed they were on an exchange programme of some sort. But who knows?

We went down to the beach later. It was blowing so I say there and read a book. K braved the choppy seas. 

The weather is changing.



16 comments:

  1. And a good day out was had by all. That was a strange greeting on the way back in - just thinking you had the place all to yourselves. Maybe Greece is doing a good thing for fighters who get some relief from the front line over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought of that. I remember the Romanians who were in Greece a few years ago.

      Delete
  2. It's good to walk round a big town and take it all in. You never know what you will see or buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to wander around and see shops that we don't have in Poros. Like Lidl. We don't buy much but even coffee in the courtyard is a different rxperience

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear you are getting some satellite tv back again.even if it will be for sport. K will have something to shout at the screen for and let off steam. I hear so many Eastern European languages here, I can only know the Polish for sure, and the rest I identify as "not Polish". I used to recognise Russian and assume they were Russians but now I am never sure because I think "why would they be here?" And then we have Latvians and Lithuanians speaking their languages. It can be very confusing especially on the train when they just speak their own languages between themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally thought this group were Russian...that's what the language sounded to me. Someone told us they were from Ukraine. Those Slavic and Balkan languages are similar.....to us

      Delete
  4. A busy day. I’d much rather sit on the beach and read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I would rather stay here and read and swim everyday. K wants variety. Thank goodness hrs found some friends now

      Delete
  5. What an exciting holiday you are having! I do hope the weather stays fairly nice for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather hot much worse but it looks like it was only for one day

      Delete
  6. I'm trying to imagine the fun I'd have in a Greek Lidl. Sounds like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a checkpoint you have to go through? wow :-o but good you got everything done, sounds like K was happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Concrete bollards, guard house. It is ,maybe was, a base for part of the Aegean. Quite relaxed though. Unless you make a run for it lol

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete