Tuesday 20 February 2024

Zapped


From a blog post written 

Friday 31 March 2017

Have you suffered from the evil eye?  I have. Sometimes it is a feeling of illness, other times it maybe some sort of accident. 

 Once, all dressed up for a wedding, I was told I looked radiant.  I stepped out onto the road and fell flat on my face.  All was well with the wedding outfit but not my face.  No-one noticed how 'radiant' I was looking because all they saw was a big red scab on the end of my nose. 

The evil eye can also be sent by thoughts of envy or just plain nastiness or even unconsciously by someone with blue or green eyes.  If looks could kill.  The laser-like rays of some glances can cause disaster.

Soon after we bought our house we came one evening to clean up after the builders and as usual it turned into a semi-party with the arrival of children and grandchildren.  As we left we had to pull over  to allow our next door neighbour to pass in her car.   We still hadn't formally met her though of course she knew who we were and we knew her by name.

As our cars passed, in convoy, on the narrow lane she gave  us a penetrating stare.  Lo, but the first car knocked off its wing mirror turning the first corner onto the main road.  Our own car developed an oil leak and we only just managed to make it home.  As we walked into our old house the hot water pipe burst flooding the kitchen.

She was also the one who walked into the house just as I took a cake out of the oven. It had risen nicely ...... until a few minutes after she left. The middle of the cake collapsed. It looked like a darn volcanic crater.

She is such a nice lady but we are always careful now and furtively spit three times when in her presence and 'turn us all about'.

So have a good day and I spit on you!

16 comments:

  1. Now I understand why you need all that protection and why I must overcome my reluctance and embrace the art of spitting. Rest assured, my computer screen will be in need of a clean by the time I bid you adieu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you forget to spit? As I clicked 'send' on my earlier comment, old Sparky-cat jumped down from her chair and was spectacularly sick all over my feet. Poor old girl, she is back on her favourite chair now, the floor and my feet have been disinfected. Order restored. I am heading off to find some protection - for her and for us.

      Delete
  2. I was on the beach (prom) recently with Billy on his short lead. We passed by a young black girl who was sitting on a low wall, and she suddenly SCREAMED. She frightened everyone around including Billy and Me. I gave her my very best 'evil eye', and she looked ready for her coffin. I think my evil eye works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now who could that be..😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall send my blue-eyed P to give our Mrs Grumpy Pants neighbour the evil eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a great idea! A piercing stare and a little black thought. Maybe the next tree will fall on his house

      Delete
  5. Poros sound very superstitious. I believe in luck. Some people have luck and some don't have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there!! I know a couple of people who just seem to steam through life with everything on their side

      Delete
  6. I shall be watching out for the blue-eyed ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if you could compare or how you would compare the clumsy gene with the evil eye, the clumsy gene is something I have. I have been know to give people I don't like a bit of an evil eye though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of that just now. Ridiculous to blame a simple accident on someone else.

      Delete
  8. We also say tfu tfu and tap on wood, I think we took a little from everywhere.

    ReplyDelete