Wednesday 28 February 2024

It's Over


Surgery all done and dusted.

The Greek health system works well.  I had excellent treatment in our  rural small- city hospital. My stay and surgery was free. I had a sympathetic doctor, nurses who were always cheery and on the ball.

We gave 'thank you' money to the doctor and anaesthetist but neither had their hands out.

Some demand and some don't. 

A year ago I had my cataract operation at this hospital.  The eye doctor wouldn't even set a date for my cataracts until he saw that fat little white envelope with a 'deposit'.  His manner changed in an instant and my 2 year wait was suddenly over.

It's a corrupt system, illegal, not helped by us. But it's hard to know what to do.  

We had a wee upset when getting the once-over from the cardiologist.  He told me I was a high risk patient, something to do with 2 valves. He insisted I must have had trouble walking and wouldn't have been able to climb stairs without being very short of breath and dizzy. Whereas  I've  never felt fitter. My own cardiologist gave me a scan 3 months ago and pronounced me in great condition, and stands by that now . 

The problem would have been with the anaesthesia. The anaesthetist asked me a whole load of questions, said the hospital doc was known to over exaggerate but decided on an epidural drip. 

That's a weird feeling, not being aware of my body below the waist. Listening to doctors and nurses chatting as they take my insides out, snip off bits and pieces and replace it all, correctly.

 The day before my surgery K was sent off to another rural hospital to pick up 2 litres of blood. My daughters are blood donors and the procedure, on paper, is handled by the local council.  It wasn't needed but they like to have it on standby.  That's the 2nd time he has transported blood in our car.  It's usually done by ambulance but they were all tied up.

The gyno ward is in the old part of the building and there were only 2 of us there. An Albanian girl who had a cesarian in one room and me in another. We both departed  the same day, leaving an empty ward.

The rooms on this ward are old.  No TV because there are no connections.  It would have helped to pass the days after surgery, especially for K who sat by my bedside all day. I had a book  and both had our phones, and a plug to recharge. The central heating was a bit noisy but kept me warm as toast day and night.

The bathroom was clean but ancient.  Toilet bowl without a lid, small basin and a shower head attached to the wall without either a shower tray or a curtain.  It would have been a very wet room if I had wanted to use it. 

I had a room mate for a few hours on the first day. May the woman live long and healthily, but nowhere near me, please.  Ye gods and little fishes. She spoke in a ringing voice to everyone all day long. She phoned all her friends and told them all in detail, and very loudly, why she was there, a minor procedure. She introduced herself, and me, to everyone from the cleaner to the trolley bearer. She wouldn't shut up. 


The only photo I took
Old hands

Like most rural hospitals many of the patients are Roma (gypsies).  They never come alone.  The whole family tags along, from babe in arms to ancient matriarch.  They're noisy and the kids run along the corridors, opening and closing doors.  At nights when the hospital was on standby duty I could hear them down in the yard yelling at each other.  A few months ago there was a gunfight at this hospital when 2 families got into an argument.
All part of the colour.

Food.  I can't complain because I was there for surgery.  However, after 2 days of nothing and 3 days of boiled chicken and soupy rice it was getting boring to say the least.  The sound of the dinner trolley is the day's excitement.  It got to be a joke between us and the trolley lady.  Boiled chicken again.  On the last day I got roast chicken.  What a delight.
I lost 2 kilos.

So I'm home and recovering.







26 comments:

  1. So pleased it went well and you are home and recovering. Was worried when you told us a few posts back what you were going into hospital for. Any abdominal surgery is a big deal; and needs serious recovery time. I was very young when i had mine and even then a good 6+ weeks of restrictions. Can't believe they didn't even give you mild sedation. I told my surgeon i didn't want to hear her say 'oh shit!' if something went wrong and they laughed and gave me a mild sedative. Good as being knocked out. Best wishes for rapid recovery and return to 'bikini body' in time for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha bikini body. It's been a long time since I've had one of those. I was quite comfortable listening to them all. The phone kept on ringing and there were a few conversations and now and again some one would appear at the door and have a conversation with the doctors .Very laid back!

      Delete
  2. Hospital food is not the nicest in itself, whenever I've had it, it's been bland and boring, makes me wonder what the cooks cook at home for themselves. I can't imagine handing over money here in the public hospital system to get treatment, mind you hospitals here have hugely long waiting lists and could be way better than they are. Bet you are happy to be home again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some packets of salt with me. It made the boiled chicken a little better. It was hard to get down by the third day.
      Very happy to be home!

      Delete
  3. Excellent news! At least they gave you real chicken, imagine if it had been mock chicken or, even worse, mock brawn! ;) Thanks for taking us through the healthcare and hospital, it made for really interesting reading.
    Rest and be pampered. You will soon be back to full fitness, as long as you don't rush things. I hope your chef is feeding you well. No place like home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the first 2 days of boiled chicken I would have been excited by even a mock olive. Maybe not the brawn though.
      My chef is already over doing the daily cooking. Fortunately I anticipated this and have a weeks meals in the freezer. No chicken!! I must have known

      Delete
  4. Good to read you are on the mend and back home recuperating LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to be home with a hot shower available a pile of books and a fridge full of food

      Delete
  5. So very pleased it all went well and now your
    Home Rest and recoup. Let everyone else take care of you for a change.
    At least you might be able to get some peace and quiet now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace and quiet, yes. No noisy squeaky radiator and no nurses taking my blood pressure in the wee hours. Home sweet home

      Delete
  6. I wondered where you were. You can do nothing for a day or two! Good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to sit back and read and write. Nothing much on tv. We didn't miss anything there

      Delete
  7. Good to hear you have had your surgery and are back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is cold and wet too. It's nice to relax beside the fire

      Delete
  8. It sounds like quite an experience. Not one to be repeated ! I am sure your man will be taking excellent care of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's trying his best! Nice to be home and sleep in my own bed

      Delete
  9. Sounds like quite an experience, thanks for sharing it with us. Glad to hear you are home now, safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all went smoothly. Always good to be home

      Delete
  10. Good to hear it all went well Linda. Sounds as if the hospital have a chicken farm nearby, or someone donated a truckload of chickens. The Gypsy gunfight is a little unsettling. Here it would be motorcycle gangsters fighting over control of drug supplies. Enjoy your recuperation. Spring is on its way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is on its way! On our way back I noticed all the almond trees are in full blossom. And a whole lot of pre Easter festivals as well. This year everyone else can do all the work

      Delete
  11. Good to hear you are all done and things are good ( except for the chicken!). Take it easy and enjoy the comforts of home. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice fatty pork chop would have gone down well. Or moussaka. Ah, well. I did lose some weight

      Delete
  12. You make your stay sound delightful! Good to know you're back home and mended. Put your feet up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't at all bad. The basics were there. Gypsies gave us something to gossip about.

      Delete
  13. So good to read it is all over and you are ok, relax at home and recover. I can relate to the chicken and rice, I follow a GF diet and that was all I could get when I was in hospital, was so happy to go home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy. You lived through that chicken too,! Now I'm home Ill have a nice pork chop

      Delete