Saturday 30 March 2024

March Pruning

 Pruning time.  Our gardener finally found some time to clean up the vines and roses.  Poppi has been doing this job for 4 or 5 years now and she does a damn good job.  Her arms are strong from rowing and she wields the secateurs with confidence.


This year K told her to cut the grapevine right back.  There was a lot of old wood.  Never mind the long vines whipping around in the wind. She sheared it right back almost to the thick main stem, collected all the cuttings and piled them up in the back yard for K to use on his BBQ.


Look at those nasturtiums.  They have taken over my front yard this year.  Some of the leaves are as big as dinner plates.  They would have smothered any other plants in the garden but I hadn't really planted a winter garden this year. All I had was a few cauliflowers and lettuces in pots.  And one stunted kohlrabi.


One reason for severe pruning is to stop the grapevine later from growing out onto next door neighbours driveway.
She cut the roses well down too. They were reaching for the power lines. 
I bet in a couple of months time they'll all have turned into veritable bushes. It's difficult to over-prune grapevines or roses . Or olive trees. 




Nasturtiums, lemons and no rubbish in my front garden

Maybe I should rename this blog. Lately it seems to be...

'The Life of Poppi'







22 comments:

  1. Popping could make a living from her gardening Linda. I believe Nasturtiums are edible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's popping from one thing to another. Always on the go!
      Nasturtiums are very edible. The leaves are slightly peppery. Nice with lettuce and rocket. Haven't tried the flowers

      Delete
  2. I put Poppi. Stupid autocorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s Poppi in full bloom. Is there anything she can’t do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Makes the best brownies, speaks great English, loves kids...spit spit spit! Mind you, her mother might have a different view 😅

      Delete
  4. She's a good girl!
    P has the pruning bug right now. Everything is getting hacked down. I fear for my camellia!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot more favourites n our garden that needs hacking back but the hardest has been done

      Delete
  5. Three cheers for Poppi! What a capable granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best. But the others are pretty darn good too. In my opinion. She's the one who lives closest to us and just loves having her photo taken 😅

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful granddaughter. Just starting pruning here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still have a huge straggling jasmine. Hopefully it will get done this week

      Delete
  7. Nice! It’s great to have help when it comes to yard work. It took us two sessions just to prune the wisteria ~ it is huge. As it should be, I planted it 24 years ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We once had a wisteria too. It just took over everything else. Beautiful but I prefer the jasmine which can be easily pruned

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy pruning my Vines, but hate pruning Wisteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have wisteria growing along a wall down the road. I love the sight and smell. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it

      Delete
  9. I think you can use the big leaves like you use cabbage leaves or vine leaves to fill rice or meat, the flowers are edible, I'm sure of that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat the leaves but K won't even consider eating them. I hide them in salads

      Delete
    2. I must try the flowers. They're such a beautiful colour

      Delete
  10. Poppi has done an amazing job with the pruning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like Poppi is a great help to you guys. I've never tried Kohlrabi, it's gotten me intrigued, don't think we would get it in Greymouth though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done poppi helping yiayia and papou.
    What a good she is. Bless her

    ReplyDelete