Sunday 17 March 2024

Octopiii

 Octopii are an important part of the Lenten menu because they have no *blood and can be eaten all through the long fast.  They are also an essential item on the menu when visitors arrive in the summer.


We have started filling up the freezer. 



But this one, what remains of it , caught by grandson Jamie with his trusty trident, will be eaten this Monday. 

It's a long weekend. Monday is Kathara Deftera, Clean Monday.

We will be eating kalamari fried and grilled, mussels, crabs, octopus done 3 ways and taramasalata (fish roe dip). 
Each of the men of the family are cooking octopus in their own special way.
Kyriakos makes stewed octopus with vinegar and olive oil. It's tender and tasty and you can dip your bread in the vinegar and oil. Not me though.  

K prefers grilled octopus.
He dries it first by pegging it out on my washing line. 
 Octopus bbqed this way is too chewy for my taste.


I dont know how Yiannis is cooking his octopus . Maybe with makaroni or with whole onions.  Both are popular. 
We will find out on Monday when we all gather for the family feast at my daughter's house.

Meanwhile the word is out and anyone catching an octopus has K's number.

*Octopii are supposed to have blue blood. 
An octopus has 3 hearts
They are super smart 
Excellent at camouflage. 
Move by jet propulsion. 
They're found in every ocean in the world. 



23 comments:

  1. Sounds great. PS/ save some for your summer visitors 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grilled gets my vote. It’s the best way lots of lemon juice and olive oil. And yes crusty bread to dip into the juices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the boiled with oil and vinegar. You have to have Greek blood in you to enjoy the grilled lol

      Delete
  3. Everything seems wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like seafood but not octopus in large quantities

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Haven't seen that on the menu but octopus balls are not unknown.

      Delete
  5. I´ll stick with the mussels and crabs thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like crabs but they're such a nuisance to clean and eat.

      Delete
  6. I'll join Sansthing - just mussels and crabs, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be plenty of those on the table today. You won't go hungry

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Ahhhh, but you haven't tried Greek octopus yet! And probably never will lol

      Delete
  8. I like calamari but I've never tried octopus, can't say it looks very appetizing. I would love the mussels and crab though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fried kalamari is my favourite. Especially when f someone else has fried them

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. There will be good company so we will all enjoy it

      Delete
  10. I love Octopus. I bought a jar recently (we can't buy fresh here) and it was awful. I shall buy it fresh again in France in a couple of months time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be enjoying a lot more favourites too. And cheap wine. Not long now

      Delete
  11. I'd be enjoying all the octopus meals too. Haven't tried the one with olive oil though yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We eat our octopus Pacfic Island style....cooked tender with coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete