Tuesday 2 April 2024

Phenomenon

 Sea Fog.  

 Formed when very cold air moves over warmer water.


Sea fog is a very rare occurrence. 
I've never heard of it before.

We noticed the other day coming down to the harbour that there were strange clouds hanging low on the hills opposite. Fortunately a friend of ours took photos and a video.




A thick cloud of Saharan dust covers the city of Athens.
Not my photo


182 million tons of dust (sand) is carried away from the Saharan desert every year
How long will it take to empty the Sahara???
The dust can be carried as far as Europe, the UK and even the US, depending on wind patterns.
It is full of minerals and is good for the garden. However it can cause breathing difficulties, heart congestion and eye irritation.
The present dust storm seems to be going on for over a week. I've got stinging eyes and a headache.
The dust is very hard to get rid of. Our car, which is not under cover, has to be well soaped and rinsed. Flagstones have to be cleaned with soapy water too but often there are orange stains which only disappear with time.
It's supposed to dissipate tomorrow. 

Did anyone hear of a decent April Fool's prank?
In years gone by there were always a few joke news reports. I've heard nothing so far.
Is the world suffering too much to stop for a few minutes of light entertainment?




10 comments:

  1. Hi Linda. Here in Ireland we get sea fog and cars get sand dustings from the Sahara Desert. The last winter has been the wettest in the UK and Ireland since records began in 1836. Then people say climate change is not happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roll on Portugal!! For you. We've had a, warm winter and summer temperatures at the moment

      Delete
  2. I read a couple of light-hearted April Fool's, can't remember them though - that could be because of my poor memory, but I prefer to think they were second-rate jokes and my brain decided they were not worth saving. Sorry. The sea fog looks very dramatic and rather lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago the children would play jokes on their teachers, and us. We would spend all day wondering which news item was just a joke. Now nothing

      Delete
  3. We often get sea fog here in the summer. Ruins the few warm days we have!
    The only April Fools prank here that I can remember now was the local wildlife park announcing they had just acquired two river dolphins who were sharing the flamingo lake. Amazing how many people fell for that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many strange things in our news bulletins now we just believe that if it's the news it's true

      Delete
  4. When I was a student I took a job taking money for the deckchairs on Worthing beach. I experienced a Sea Fog on a couple of occasions, and simply had to stand still for a while until it passed. It was so dense that I couldn't see anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered what it would be like to be in the middle of that fog

      Delete
  5. Wow, it’s cool! We don’t live by the sea or an ocean (or many bodies of water, haha), so I’ve never seen this phenomena. When we were living in Oregon, we experienced very thick fog on several occasions, one was when I was driving home and I had to roll down the windows to make sure I didn’t hit any cars parked on our street.
    I have heard of the dust issue, some of that even makes it’s way to the U.S. Yucky. Again, in Oregon, we experienced volcanic ash following Mt. Saint Helen’s eruption.
    No, not one person pulled a prank on us for April Fools Day! I did see that someone delivered what looked like donuts, but when they opened it, it was full of veggies and dip! :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve seen sea fog on tv but not in real life. As for the dust. I can imagine how frustrating and annoying it can be. I hope you get some clean fresh air soon helping you breathe.

    ReplyDelete