Sunday 10 March 2024

Marching On

 Life ebbs and flows. Yesterday we were at a funeral of a close friend.


After the church and interment everyone gathers at the cafeteria next to the graveyard, beside the sea, for a small Greek coffee, mastiha liqueur and a sweet biscuit. 
I didn't wait around to witness the burial. Arm in arm with my daughter I retreated to the café, out of the cold. 

It's a chance for everyone, as they leave the Cafe, to pay their respects to the mourning family and wish the deceased a peaceful ever-after, 
or a long life to the family that remains that they may keep his/her memory alive.

Those that linger on, close family and friends usually, stay for soup and wine.
Sometimes it's meat soup.  This time it was fish soup, served with platters of the boiled fish and vegetables. With plenty of wine.
It was delicious but I put too much pepper in the soup and had to wash each spoonful down with some wine. I drank just a little more than I intended. But I'm not on a restricted diet . Just a restricted lifestyle.

The church was freezing and the constant stand-up-sit-down tired me out. Everytime it's stand-up time: for the appearance of the priest from his sanctuary, for the sending of clouds of  incense from the big swinging burner, or for a prayer, K nudges me in case I'm inattentive. In the end I decided I was a recovering patient and stayed seated. 

RIP Petros


12 comments:

  1. I’m so sorry for your loss.
    Yes your a recovering patient and your allowed to sit. I’m glad you were able to attend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a good friend, 80, but still young. I had to go for him and to give his wife a hug.

      Delete
  2. I don't like funerals. I always go to the church door, greet all the other mourners, then when the coffin is inside the church along with the mourners, I go home. I've been seen, they all know I was there, and for me that is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church in the graveyard us very small. Most of the people stand outside. That's what I often do. If you've been seen then you can avoid all the rest.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your friend.
    Good to know that you are listening to what your body tells you and great that you were able to get in out of the cold.

    (About three decades ago I had broken my leg, around Christmas time. There was a big Christmas Carol Service being held at my husband's Catholic church (I am CofE) which we were expected to attend. The church was packed, many dozens of people out in the carpark with no hope of getting inside. To my total embarrassment because I was on crutches with a very large plaster cast on my leg, the crowd swept me forward insisting that a seat be found...right down at the very front. It was kind, but cringe-making. I was practically on the altar with the priest - and me a naughty CofE at the best of times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha I can imagine the feeling, especially in a church you're not easy in. I was brought up CofE too. So different from the Orthodox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once visited a Ukranian Orthodox church in Poland. It was incredible how the priest sang the service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here we have chanters. They are heard more than the priest. This is a small church. Wouldn't take more than 20 odd people. There were 3 chanters ringing out the byzantinian music

      Delete
  6. Sorry to read you have lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RIP Petros....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have met him and his Greek/American wife Sophia.

      Delete