Thursday 3 August 2023

The Full Moon

 


This stunning photo was taken by
Poppi
at the August 2023 full moon beach party

Described as a magic night full of dancing, latin and traditional greek, on the sands of Kanali beach, Poros.  

Poppi is away in Athens taking the first part of her motor bike drivers licence today. Good luck Poppi mou.
She just phoned, passed the written test. Of course, there was no doubt about that, says her Nana!!  No mistakes at all.  
Driving test in a few weeks.
Only 17 but I can't talk. I got my driver's licence less than a month after my 16th birthday. Those were the days  my friend ......

This is a super moon and there will be 2 of them this month.  The second full moon is on the 31st and it's one of those rare, once in a blue moon-s.

Last night and the night before the moon was brilliant.  As it came up over the hills in front of us it looked as though the olive groves were on fire.  K even went and got the binoculars to check it wasn't a fire.
It looks larger and brighter because it is at its closest to earth, so they say.  It's going to appear like this for 3 nights.  
Full moon in September will also be a super moon.

Archealogical sites are open till midnight on the night of the August full moon. Entrance is free.  The Acropolis used to be open too but in recent years it was decided it was too dangerous to let hundreds of people climb up and down the slippery marble steps after dark.
The best place to see the full moon over the Parthenon, the temple on top of the Acropolis, would be on the roof garden of an Athens hotel with a cold drink in one hand and your camera in the other.

Here on Poros we used to have a piano recital up at the ancient site where the temple to sea god mighty Poseidon once stood.  Covid changed all that and now we have a beach party instead.

Mind you, entrance is always free and the temple site is open day and night so anyone wanting to tread ancient ruins under the light of this brightest celestial body is welcome to do so.  Who knows what apparitions might appear.  A not so ancient goat or the fleeting shadows of feasting citizens from years gone-by.

18 comments:

  1. As we are experiencing such bad weather I have not see the full moon at all. That is a great photo of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was cloudy the first night but the next two were very clear. I wasn't going to write about it but my grandaughter sent me this brilliant photo and I thought it deserved to be published

    ReplyDelete
  3. She certainly was bright last night. I didn’t see moonrise tonight because I was inside busy and missed it. I’d Love to be at an ancient temple by moonlight. Maybe one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being by the sea looking at the moonlit path over the water

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful sight.
    Alas, our view was obscured by heavy rain clouds. Hopefully, we may have more luck with the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright and clear here in Queensland- shone all night long as well. Saw it twice - each time I did a loo run 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our old house the agust full moon would pour into our bedroom window at 4am. Magic

      Delete
  6. Got my license at 16 as well. Everyone did. So then I could drive the land yacht Oldsmobile to my part time job at Woolco and my parents didn't have to take me or pick me up. Good for your granddaughter!! We marvelled over the full moon here, also. Our moons (ha, it's the same moon) have names, this one being the sturgeon moon. I love it when there is a blue moon, too. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my driver's licence so I could drive my mother around. That didn't happen much! I was suddenly free

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Poppi, both for the photo and the test.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like these brighter nights. A great time for watching 'shooting stars' too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is month for meteor showers too. Ive never seen them but the children have.

      Delete
  10. Lovely picture! I was reading about the two moon events happening so close together. It would be really cool to go to a photo shoot at one of those sites! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of August it would be great to take a photo from Poseidon's temple. However my camera never captures the moon properly. I must ask grandaughter how she took this photo.

      Delete
  11. That is a beautiful photo. We had a big yellow moon last Thursday, looked beautiful shining across the water. Would be wonderful to watch the moon come up from one of the historic sites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes I wish I was in Athens so I could take some cool photos. But for a start July was too darn hot and August is continuing that way.
    Maybe at the end of the month I can capture the blue moon somehow, somewhere

    ReplyDelete