Monday 14 August 2023

Taste of Summer

 Recently I cooked MOUSSAKA, the traditional summer dish of Greece

 It uses the most prolific of summer vegetables, tomatoes, aubergines (eggplant) and zucchini (courgettes).  If you don't want the minced beef you can leave that out and make a fresh tomato sauce instead.  But you'll miss out on that rich taste explosion. 

It's a dish most tourists have heard of even if they haven't eaten it.  There's no offal in it, no sheep's eyes, nothing unrecognisable.  Moussaka along with kalamari, tzatziki, greek salad and stuffed tomatoes are on every traditional taverna menu

  Concocted of layers of fried zucchini and aubergine (eggplant), topped off with stewed minced beef and tomato (a sort of bolognese sauce ), grated nutmeg and a bechamel (white sauce), then baked in the oven till golden brown.

It's best warm, rich and  creamy but can be eaten straight from the fridge the next day and the day after that till it's all gone.  I make moussaka a couple of times during the summer.  It's quite a business preparing all those layers but worth it every time.



In recent years I baked the zucchini and aubergine slices instead of frying them in olive oil and filled it out with another layer of finely sliced boiled potato.

Not this time, by gosh.  Olive oil is at the top of my dietary list.  I fried those zucchini and aubergine till soft and golden and left out the potato all together.

It's traditional to fry them and I'm quite happy, now, to follow that fine original recipe.  These can be prepared the night before and the mince meat stewed with fresh grated tomatoes and grated nutmeg, or a stick of cinnamon.  Next day the layering is easy and only the bechamel (or cheese sauce) has to be cooked from scratch.

Half your dishes have been washed the night before and you don't break your back leaning over the frying pan.
You do need a deep dish so it doesn't bubble over when cooking.  If you want to cut perfect pieces then it has to be left to cool.  Why bother.  It's wonderful straight out of the oven as it flops all over your plate.

This post is Dedicated to All my Visitors 
Who over the years have enjoyed my moussaka and gone home to cook their own

My first dedication is to
(Debbie's) Mark
Who enjoyed all K's Greek food so much and ate my big baking dish of moussaka for days till every morsel was finished.  

Along with neices
Katy and
Katherine 
Who ate whatever was put in front of them, then went back to Australia and New Zealand and made their own moussaka and stuffed tomatoes and tzatziki and even  Mayeritsa, the Easter offal soup.


Special mention to Sam who K taught to spit roast the easter offal, and nephew Craig. K has great difficulty saying Craig's name so he just calls him 'Kiwi Man'.  Everyone else called him Greg.

 A huge wave to niece  Niki  and her Mum who cook superbe Greek 

Finally a special mention goes to Niki's Serbian f-in-law
Who makes his own glorious moussaka

Not that I've tried any of their back home cooking. And I probably won't . If I ever do go back I'll be eating fish n chips, meat pies and custard slices. I won't be eating Greek in NZ!!


19 comments:

  1. Blimey.. here I am just after eating breakfast and you have made want to stuff my face with a big helping of moussaka right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice piece of greasy moussaka is the best way to start the day. You'll have so much energy. Just have to convince your stomach

      Delete
  2. I like a moussaka but have never made one. I am happy with a ready-made moussaka every now and then. There are some good ones in the supermarkets these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ready made sounds fine to me. You can even get frozen portions here now. Easy and tasty. Unfortunately my husband doesn't agree

      Delete
  3. Sounds delicious! I´ll have to have a go at making one, following your recipe, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not very difficult. Just time consuming. Much easier if you grill the vegetables. Frying them is time consuming and the cleaning up is time consuming too

      Delete
  4. A home made moussaka is a wonderful thing and, as you say, a lot of the work can be done the day before..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll be making another one this summer. Thank goodness it turned out very tasty

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Delicious and full of goodness, and calories

      Delete
  6. Do you know I dont think i have made moussaka since I left last year and now I absolutely have to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m like you. If I make this I make a big pan so I have lots of leftovers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Moussaka. I first ate it when I worked opposite Harrods in London and there was a small Greek Cafe in one of the back streets. Roll on summer and I will make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just reminded me of my first moussaka , long before I got to Greece. It was in a Greek cafe in Cuba street, wellington.

      Delete
  9. What's not to like with Moussaka! I really must make one. I also love the Greek Pastitsio with Macaroni. Great dishes when you have lots of guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good filler-ups. Here they're often served as first courses, believe it or not. Before the meat and potatoes

      Delete
  10. At least once a week I make moussaka. It is in demand here.

    ReplyDelete