Wednesday 9 August 2023

Out of Order

My ride



My poor old quad bike

Emphasis on the 'old'.  I've had it for 15 years and before that it was a rental bike.

It's up for retirement, or a funeral.  But not till the end of summer.

The bike has broken down twice this month, just stopped, out of the blue, in the middle of the road.   The first time I was on my way home and someone came down to help.  I free wheeled it down the mountain and a friend pushed it the rest of the way to the fix-it shop.

My grandson is working there this summer so I have a 'meson', a friend in just the right place to push your problem to a fast and positive solution, instead of being simply delayed or denied.

It's a most important part of greek life.  If you don't have a 'μεσον' (meson) you are doomed to stomp from place to place filling out forms, standing in line and waiting, and waiting.

Anyway......the bike was fixed and delivered by grandson the next day.  It still had a flat battery but they had fixed the kick start so I got it going, got it a few hundred metres down the road and it stopped again.  Great. I pushed it into the parking lot and there it stayed for a week in the searing heat of the worst heatwave.  Not likely anyone would steal it. I even left the keys in the basket on the back.

Eventually it was fixed, carburators and filters cleaned and other stuff which didn't interest me.  All I want is for it to start easily and get me here and there.



Home sweet home

It's still got a flat battery, the number plate is so rusted you can't read the numbers, the flash works but it has a temperament which only I understand.  There is no fuel gauge so I have to remember how many times I go up and down the mountain.  3 times and it needs a refill.
The back tyres need air every time I fill it up .  But, hey, it goes and it has all the paperwork.  Oh and it's a bit noisy.

Like Lazarus it has been miraculously brought back to life. 

I'm using it now to go up and down to the beach and down to the nearest grocery shop.  Otherwise I use the car.   











19 comments:

  1. Your husband who never throws anything away and repairs all old things, or has them in the garden for "one day", will never allow this "retirement" to happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rachel, you know us well!! At the moment he's trying to ressurect the battery. Meantime we have to work on the number plate. Handmade/repaired is quite acceptable.

      Delete
    2. I would say to K that you want a new battery and in the meantime ask your grandson to look out for a good secondhand bike coming available to set you up for the next 15 years!

      Delete
    3. Looks like I'll be getting a new battery, don't know about the bike

      Delete
  2. Maybe it just wanted a holiday like the rest of us. Who knows with a new battery it might have years in it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anywhere else I'd probably be stopped, especially for the number plate. I hadn't even noticed it was in such bad condition. Here they know me. I always wear a helmet and my papers are up to date so yes, it'll probably go on for a while yet. I'd like a new one which has reverse but that's not likely

      Delete
  3. It just didn’t want to work during that heat wave.
    The Greek way of doing things is very annoying. I’m not Greek when it comes to things like that. I’m an Aussie. I’ll book it in and I’ll wait, a normal time, for it to be fix and pay the bill. I’d definitely get into many heated conversations if I had to live in Greece. Luckily I’m married to a mechanic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 2 grandsons who are bike mechanics. Not much they can do with this one. The end of summer will probably be the end of this machine

      Delete
    2. We have 2 grandsons who are bike mechanics. Not much they can do with this one. The end of summer will probably be the end of this machine

      Delete
  4. Like Rachel, I thought that K would have it all fixed by now!
    Looks like it would be a very handy shopping aid for a certain weary lady of a certain age and I wish I could have one but it probably wouldn't be allowed here. I shall just have to trudge on Shank's pony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an excellent way of getting around. It's not very powerful so I chug up and down our hills. Much cooler than a car just at the moment

      Delete
  5. Ha ha, poor old quad! I wish I had one, it´s shanks pony for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so easy to drive but the bigger ones are a bit dangerous. This one has served me well

      Delete
  6. When you say it will last to the end of summer, I presume you only use it in summer. Hope it lasts till then and you get a nice "new to you" one for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely use it in the winter it's just too cold. If I lived down on the waterfront it would be fine but these mountain roads are freezing

      Delete
  7. Have a word with the hire people, they might be replacing their stock. You might find a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do get another that's where it will be coming from. The two main hire places are both owned by good friends of K

      Delete
  8. oooh a quad bike, now that's something that a typical kiwi has here as you know. Good to see you are still a kiwi at heart.

    ReplyDelete