Sunday 20 October 2024

Sunday Lunch

 A Sunday in mid October.  It wasn't very warm, only 22oC, with a stiff breeze.  K wanted to BBQ.  He had acquired a couple of octopus tentacles and he had it in his mind it was a day for ouzo and octopus.


The octopus tentacles were hung out to dry alongside my washing



Then on to the electric grill
With that brisk breeze it was not a day to light the coals.
There is still a fire ban in place



From the grill to the plate.
With a few squeezes of lemon juice and a sprinkling of oregano.  The perfect meze for ouzo.
Lemons are rather scarce at the moment.  Our trees have only a few hard green fruit.  At the greengrocer they are 1.70 euros a kilo.
On my daily walk I managed to pick a few green lemons* from neighbouring trees and they had quite a lot of juice.  
The meze was saved.  



After the first course there were grilled chicken wings and greek salad.  And wine


A friend, koumbaros** (the father of Ks, now 30 year old, godson)
stopped on his way home for a quick chat and an ouzo.
Quick chat and an ouzo.  This is Greece.
These 2 grew up together and are both ex-Navy. They have a lot in common.  Once they start talking they find it hard to stop.
4 hours later, after rather a lot of ouzo and wine, they finally decided it was time to break up the party.  

K was a happy camper after these hours of company, conversation, discussion and debate. It's what he loves.

*on today's walk I carried a back pack and some secateurs.  I only managed to cut half a dozen lemons by squeezing my hand through a nasty rusty fence. I need a grandchild, but most of them, including Poppi, have flown the roost. They're in Athens for the start of their tertiary studies.
Of course I could just ask. This neighbour would willingly open the gate for me. But stolen fruit is tastier. Or in this case, juicer. 

**koumbaros.  Bestman, groomsman or woman, godfather or godmother.  A  koumbaros becomes a close member of the family


















8 comments:

  1. Not very warm?? Only 22C???
    Your Sunday lunch sounds like a relaxed and convivial affair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, only 22. I had to wear a jacket as we sat in the shade.

      Delete
  2. After trying and failing at growing lemons, I know I’m a bad Greek, I have finally have two that are fruiting.
    Stolen is always better. I find the same when I take cuttings. If I stole it, it always strikes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are, a good Greek. So many of them follow that adage... Stolen is sweeter. One of them used to steal outside pot plants on the way home from a taverna. He has a big lemon orchard and complains like mad when people sneak in a fill bags with lemons. Karma. Cuttings are fine.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the perfect day. Lemons.....nothing infuriates me more than paying for a lemon. Currently on holiday in Port Douglas (Far North Queensland, I’m from Melbourne), and Coles, one of the two multi nationals in Australia sells them for $1.50 each!! Same price all over Australia. I had to buy one to flavour the magnificent reef fish that I bought and cooked. At home I have access to friends lemons and juice them and freeze them in IceCube trays. Marie, Melbourne, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1.50 for one lemon. Ye gods and little fishes. Greeks would riot. I too freeze lemon juice in ice block trays when we have a lot of fruit . We have plenty of them are using them now. But we must have fresh for octopus

      Delete
  4. I can almost taste that grilled Octopus; I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K is buying octopus when he finds them at a decent price and freezes them 2 tentacles to a bag. Then he always has a perfect ouzo snack

      Delete