Sunday 27 October 2024

More Misc...

 Some odds and some ends.

Autumn is definitely here and I'm pleased.

  Duvets went on beds last week.  Something to snuggle under.  It's still warm enough at night to leave open a window and a shutter. 

I wear slippers on my feet instead of walking bare foot on chilly tiles.

I walk.

  I enjoy a half hour in the garden, not doing much.  There are no weeds yet. No rain. Pots only need watering every few days instead of daily.  I sowed rocket (arugulla, or roka) seeds in the old wheelbarrow.  I wanted to plant leeks but our local garden centre had an argument with his supplier and there will no leek plants this year.  I'll put in a few garlic cloves and onions just to say I have a winter garden.  Maybe there will be a few lettuces though it's cheaper to buy them when we want them.  





Saint Nick or Saint Basil
depending on where you live
His beard is growing thick and long.
His Santa costume needn't  include a false beard this Christmas. 

Dunedin airport, in NZ, has put a 3 minute limit on goodbye hugs. Prolonged farewell-embraces have been causing traffic jams.  
This news went viral for 24hrs here in Greece.  Various friends asked what the hell NZ was thinking of.
When I read the article, thanks  Al Jezeera, I discovered the request was quite reasonable.   Cars stopping at the departure gate to drop off passengers were holding up traffic so the airport put up a sign

'Max hug time 3 minutes.
Those seeking fonder farewells should head for the airport car park'

Fair enough.  And 3 minutes is quite enough.  Get your baggage out, give 'em a hug and off you go! There's a line of cars waiting behind you. 

NZ was in the headlines again though not many noticed this news here in Greece.  NZ won the America's Cup yachting race for the 3rd time in a row.


' Team New Zealand have officially made history as the first continuous team to win the America's Cup 3 times in a row.' 
'The America's Cup is a sailing competition and the longest international competition still operating in any sport.'

  It's a huge event for New Zealand and another great victory for NZ sport.  Our Kiwi-Greek-Australian family sent smiley faces.

 






7 comments:

  1. Go NZ! A great sporting nation.
    I loved my all too brief visit there back in 2006 and would really love to go back again but, oh that loooong journey....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same. Lovely country. Helluva long way!! I used to love long haul flights. Not any more

      Delete
  2. Even saying goodbye when leaving after a visit is long and drawn out. Greek families just don’t hug on a schedule lol
    Well done to the kiwis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard saying goodbye. And never knowing when you'll be back

      Delete
  3. I start sowing my leeks in February and plant them out in summer using my dibber and dropping them in and watering and filling the holes. This gives them a thick white sock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still hoping to find leeks. I love them and they grow well here. In the winter. It's still not too late. I always like your advice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Auckland has similar hug restrictions to Dunedin. I like to say my goodbyes well before the airport - and never enjoy them much.
    Son watched the Americas Cup races so he was happy they won again.
    Enjoy your pleasant weather :) xx

    ReplyDelete