Thursday 9 July 2020

Traffic Jam



Big trucks in narrow roads.  These roads were made for mules.  Well, not really but they weren't built for this much modern traffic, especially huge articulated lorries.



2 cars can't pass on this road let-alone 2 trucks
This is the big double trailor that takes supplies up to the fish farm




It met the big double tanker coming in to supply our petrol station


Convoy.  Four cars and me had to back down the road and find somewhere to tuck themselves in out of the way.

Then the big fish farm lorry backed down about 50 yards.  The tanker came down and tucked into a side road and off we all went.

Very exciting and I actually remembered to take some photos.

What I really admired was the skill of the fish farm truck.  He backed that 50 yards without even a stop to check on those parked cars.  And there were cars parked on either side of the road.  Those parked cars are what makes the road so narrow.

 He knows what he's doing or he wouldn't have the job.  Both these lorries back onto the car ferry which is a tight enough space. They are put on last, right down the middle.  Both too have very tight manoeuvres where they deliver their goods.  


Us on the ferry


Actually the tanker goes across on an empty car ferry. Darn them. Don't know how many times we've been rushing for the ferry and find it pulling out with a tanker on board. That means waiting while it goes across, disembarks the tanker, and then comes back for the rest of us.



It might have just been a tad more exciting if they had scratched something but, hell, I can't/shouldn't ask for scratch and trouble.   

 An elderly neighbour   
 was driving one of the cars that had to back down and find a place to hideaway.  She did an amazing job too.  She backed straight and clear.  I, on the other hand would have zig-zagged down that road making a fool of myself.  It would have been me that knocked off a few wing mirrors.  

 I got off easily this time perched, on my quad bike. I just enjoyed the show.

16 comments:

  1. It is like that in some places in Cornwall and they have nearly put me in the ditch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably would elsewhere but actually they are quite polite here. One of these trucks actually stopped one day as I was going up the hill to home and pulled over so I could pass on my quad bike. I was amazed and looked over my shoulder to see who was behind me lol. No one.

      Delete
  2. All the pollution too. It must get people very annoyed. How fast can you go on the quad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chug chug chug!! Even a snail could pass me going downhill. It's 50cc
      Gives me plenty of time to think going uphill on the way home

      Delete
  3. Breathe in everyone!
    Sometimes I meet another car coming in the other direction along our single-track lane. There are a few passing places along the way but invariably the other driver who is often closest to a space refuses to back up so I end up having to reverse double the distance to a space further back just to avoid a stalemate.
    Well done that truck driver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I just stood my ground and waited and ended having a fierce argument. The other driver had seen me coming from a long way ahead and could have easily pulled over safely to let me pass but didn't. I cant remember the outcome but I had the kids in the car and they were small so I might have given in. I hate having to back up whatever the reason.
      Its usually city slickers who think they have the damn right of way. Locals know the rules and the roads

      Delete
  4. I'm guessing the roads there are quite narrow? I don't even bother parallel parking etc, I'm probably quite hopeless at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really difficult! If I can't just drive into a space then I move on.

      Delete
  5. I can't back - I simply am useless. My daughter on the other hand is amazing and zooms up her curved steep driveway all the time. I can parallel park though so all is not lost :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be good at backing. 20 years ago I had to back our car daily down a narrow lane and I scooted down there. Now I have difficulty turning round to see what's behind and I can't judge with mirrors

      Delete
  6. That was the scariest thing in Greece. Driving along those narrow roads
    Oh and hubby forgetting to drive on the wrong side of the road after getting fuel. lol good thing none was coming the other way Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving through villages is the worst. Farmers drive all over the road and don't move.

      Delete
  7. On one of my very first stays in France (I was about 8), the village had a ninety degree tight corner right in the middle. I actually witnessed a huge lorry getting totally stuck after having tried for ages to get through. They ended up knocking down a bit of wall from someone's house. There was a huge audience. It was enormous fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's more like it. Entertainment for the whole village. Not so entertaining if you happen to own the house on the corner!

      Delete
  8. My hubby was a truckie so I have an enormous respect for how your truck drivers are behaving. It is not easy to back big rigs like that, especially in tight situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truck did an amazing job and I've seen the tanker makes some very tight turns. They know what they're doing. It's always great to watch trucks back onto the car ferry. Now that's a very tight space. Bravo hubby. Awesome drivers

      Delete