Thursday 5 April 2018

Thursday

A mixed sort of day.  Traditionally it is for dyeing red eggs and doing the last of the cleaning.  On our way down to pick up some of the grandchildren and a couple of their friends we stopped off at the supermarket.  On this busy day when most of the island was in the store shopping I chose to trip on the curb and fall flat on my back.  Hell.  Took some strong men to haul me back up again.  It is the second time I've done this but at least this time I didn't hit my head or even strain anything.  Just hurt pride godammit.  News spreads fast on a small island so I got a few phone calls over the next hour.  Yes, I'm in one piece.
Gonna have to work on that 'picking myself up' bit.



Sorted out the kids and got them to do a bit of work.  Here are the two boys planting the flowers and vegetables I bought yesterday.  They did a great job 


Planting the pansies


I left the girls to it.  Told them to read the instructions which they did


I boiled all the eggs last night so they needed to be placed in the pot of dye and then taken out and polished with olive oil.

After all that hard work we fed them a Lenten meal of macaroni (spaghetti) with prawns in tomato sauce and more of that green fizzy concoction which they only get a Nana's house


60 glossy red eggs.  That wasn't enough so I just dyed another 20.

The cookies we baked on Wednesday have all been given away so I'll need to bake another batch on Saturday.

Tomorrow is Good Friday.  No cleaning, baking, dyeing or whitewashing.  The shops don't open until after 10am when Christ will be taken off the cross and placed on his flower bedecked bier in each of the four main churches, plus the church of Agios Mantheos where  those following the old church calendar meet to pray.  The Old Calendarists follow the Julian calendar which is 13 days behind the Gregrorian.

My day ended on a high note.  K went off to church to listen to the long evening service.  Tonight is the reading of the Twelve Gospels after which the women stay behind and decorate Christ's bier with garlands of flowers.  I dyed the last of the eggs and sat down in my comfy armchair to relax and watch Episode 1 of Season 3 of the Durrells and their life on Corfu.  Entertaining and English!  Perfect ending.



9 comments:

  1. ack, I hope you're ok after that fall. That's something I would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good at taking tumbles. Must investigate how I can get better balance. Yoga maybe

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful grandchildren you have,you are blessed.I hope you are ok now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just at the right age for doing a few chores. Not too many though and a bit of computer time inbetween. Im making use of them while I can!

      Delete
  3. Is it a special red dye that is made just for the occasion, or just regular food colouring? The colour is so intense and such a good idea to coat them in oil. Never thought to do that to Easter eggs, but I imagine any colour would look nice being all shiny! (Are you sore after your fall? I'm glad you didn't do any damage. ) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red dye is a special colouring and is apparently harmless so if it gets into a cracked egg it is still eidble.
      Those eggs are extra shiny. Grandaughter did a grand job.
      Bruises in unsual places today but otherwise fine thanks

      Delete
  4. I love the way you manage to get your grandchildren to help, I suppose much of it is about balance - a bit of work and then some play. Those eggs look wonderful, like big plum tomatoes.
    Glad that only your pride was dented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nana's list is famous around here and they shudder when they walk in the door lol. A bit of work keeps them from getting bored and helps us with things that are difficult to reach or manage. Their favourite is climbing into the big store cupboard above the bathroom and bringing down or putting away the seasonal stuff. Then they stay up there and play. Well the little ones do. The older ones have grown up

      Delete
  5. Oh my. Bet that hurt. I hate falling down especially in public. Yup the pride takes a beating
    At least you didn’t do too much damage to yourself

    ReplyDelete