Wednesday, 2 September 2026

Shovel or Squash?

 Peas squashed on the back of a fork or just shovelled in ?

It's always peas used in the example. You'd think it was difficult to eat peas balancing them on the back of a fork. It's not. You squash them

I eat both ways.  The other day, at a souvlaki shop of all places, I found myself using my knife and fork in the 'correct' English manner to eat my gyro and chips.  K opposite was 'shovelling' in the European manner


Tines up or down? 




. 
Or do you just use your fingers? 
Fingers are quite OK here to eat chips or 
As the Greek saying goes
'Fish, chicken and women should be managed with your hands' 


4 comments:

  1. It's a Crazy World2 September 2026 at 16:40

    I do all of those, depending on what I'm eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I think most people do that. Just hadn't noticed. Unless they're somewhere 'proper"

      Delete
  2. I don’t do a particular way. It kinda depends on where I am or how I’m feeling at the time.
    I’m starting to my gyros with a knife and fork as I make a terrible mess.
    I think I need adult bibs to eat them the traditional European way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat with my utensils in the wrong hands anyway so shovel or squash doesn't matter - I'm not fit for posh company (and prefer hands in any event)

    ReplyDelete