Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Late Summer Holiday

 No wifi in our room and it's sketchy on the balcony. Not even data works.  I eventually get to read blogs and sometimes write one 

No news.  That's good news.  Its all very strange, life without wifi, social media, but I'm getting used to it. Except at night when I used to listen to YouTube in the sleepless hours. Now I pass the hours with my thoughts and try to relax by counting sheep, or listening to my breath and Ks snoring.  



The first few sunny days.  Crazy people out there in the sea doing water Zumba. I watch for a few minutes and put my head back in my book.  



The weekend was busy
Families with young children. We heard their happy voices at the far away playground well into the night


The playground is well kept, lots of unusual games.  Right next to the helicopter pad. I've never seen a helicopter land in all our years of holidays here 

I managed 2 swims before the weather changed.
The first swim .  The water was warm but there was a strange breeze and a tide which pushed me back.  I had to battle to move through the water and reach K who was just a few metres away. 
It was a very strange experience. It would have been frightening but I could actually touch the bottom.  Keeping afloat was tiring and it wasn't long before I was battling back to shore.

The next day the sea was back to normal.  I swam a little, just to say I'd done it, then got out to read and muse in the sun

Now we seem to have a wi fi signal. I'm sitting on our small balcony listening to night sounds and drinking a Spanish red 
We went out for supplies today. K got his raki and some greek white wine. This Spanish red was cheap, in a box. It's actually quite good. Not plonk.

Cheers BigEars




19 comments:

  1. I think it's called "getting away from it all". It sounds weirdly relaxing even though there are Zumba classes going on in the distance and kids playing. It all makes a change from home doesn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big change. No cooking, no cleaning. Zumba.....the music was enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy hearing happy children voices playing in the distance. It's such a happy sound

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was lots of laughter and high pitched squeals. Just far enough away to fade into the background of night noises. They sure stay out till late.

      Delete
  3. ha. I haven't heard the expression Cheers Big Ears for years - typical kiwi slang LOL. Hope you're enjoying your time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relaxing holiday. No cooking or cleaning!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is . K gets a bit bored though he has more friends here this year. I just enjoy it

      Delete
  5. See ya later Alligator - sounds like the break you needed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a while crocodile 😁 this a dirty that greek husband has learnt and loves to use

      Delete
  6. I’d definitely would rather be sitting with you reading than doing the zomba. Watching it should be enough to lose a bit of weight. I might speak to god when I get there to suggest it lol
    Enjoy the sunshine but don’t get burnt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about getting burnt and didn't stay out too long. The sun felt quite gentle but probably wasn't

      Delete
    2. PS send that prayer. Wouldn't it be nice 🙂

      Delete
  7. You are lucky having a nice safe Greek beach for swimming. Last week, at Sorrento beach here in Perth a swimmer was taken by a great white shark, the second this year. They haven’t found his body this time. When we lived in Sorrento that was our favourite beach. Not any more. I don’t swim in the ocean any more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens to Betsy! No way. I wouldn't even put my toes in.
      The most dangerous animals here are humans.

      Delete
  8. My memories of swimming off a Greek island were firstly seeing Sea Horses everywhere, and secondly of seeing the big round eyes of Ray Fish poking out from beneath the sand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have sea horses around Poros. Gosh haven't seen any for years. What a pity. And sea cucumbers which were full of water and we squirted them at each other. No more of those either.
      Haven't seen rays but have seen octopus. Still a few of those

      Delete
  9. You've painted a lovely picture of a late summer holiday! Your swimming sounds much like mine - one toe just able to feel the sand .

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely summer respite, no wi- fi would be a glorious diversion from everyday life.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete