Last summer's reading.....
I sat on the beach and tried to block out my surroundings by immersing myself in a few good books. Our holidays at the navy resort are at the end of summer.
Families are home, parents at work, kids at school. We share the resort with pensioners, like us.
Although the elderly don't let out high pitched screams like small children, boy can they talk the backside off a horse...or is it the hind leg off a donkey. I had to look that up!
The men tell tall tales about their days in the navy, the women gossip and all of them spend hours discussing ailments and medication.
Thank goodness my sis in law, Karen, left me this book. Ann Cleeves writes a great who-dunnit. You're not likely to guess the culprit
Thanks Karen mou. I've found a couple more of her books down at the book Exchange.
I'm on the 3rd one now
Books I'll be reading at the Navy Resort this summer. One month to go!!!
These 3 are true life stories
Memoirs
Who-dunnitz
And this little gem with puzzles from the NZ Herald...... No! they are in the Listener. A magazine all kiwis will know, if it's still in publication. Thanks Chris for mentioning that
I do the crosswords in pencil, leave them for a year or so, erase the answers and do them again
This is printed in 2006, the last time I was in NZ. It's almost archaic






I didn't know you could get NZ Herald puzzles in 'book form'. Tell me about people gossiping and talking about ails and medications and so on! It happens here A LOT! I zone out and just do my sewing, and at Coffee & Chat if it gets too boring I just leave! NIce bunch of books you have there.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if they still bring out the puzzles in book form. Haven't been back to find out 😔😔 20 years
DeleteActually I've just realised they were in the Listener. Ye gods and little fishes. Thanks for pointing that out 😀
Why do people love to talk endlessly about their ailments? It surely would be much better to talk of other things to take their minds off them.
ReplyDeleteI agree. It's a favourite topic amongst oldies here. They even describe the darn things, little pink ones or big blue capsules....
DeleteStanding in the shallows or treading water is a popular place for these discussions. They all think they're receiving 'treatment' when they 'swim',. Sea water is supposed to be a panacea for winter ills
Some books for me to look out for in the local library. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your relaxing break with your chatty pals!
My chatty friends!! Fortunately K usually takes over my side of the conversation
DeleteI love her books
ReplyDeleteShe's great reading. Keeps you interested all the way through
Delete